* [dpdk-dev] igb_uio fails on VirtualBox virtio
@ 2014-02-08  0:14 Reda Haddad
From: Reda Haddad @ 2014-02-08  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I am getting a "write error: No such device" when:
echo  0000:00:08.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/igb_uio/bind

This is on Virtualbox with a virtio based adapter.

This also fails when using the dpdk pci_unbind:
./tools/pci_unbind.py —bind=igb_uio 00:08.0
Cannot bind to driver igb_uio

I have read (http://dpdk.org/doc) that the dpdk (I am using version 1.6) supports virtio on virtual box. Is it truly supported?
If yes, any clue on what is the problem?

Thanks,

Reda

* Re: [dpdk-dev] igb_uio fails on VirtualBox virtio
@ 2014-02-08 12:39 ` Vincent JARDIN
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2014-02-08 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reda Haddad; +Cc: dev

You should use another virtio because it avoids uio constraints.

I have been using it to run testpmd on Virtualbox longtime ago.

See http://dpdk.org/browse/virtio-net-pmd/

Best regards,
   Vincent

@ 2014-02-10 19:18   ` Reda Haddad
From: Reda Haddad @ 2014-02-10 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent JARDIN; +Cc: dev

Thanks for the info.

I guess the referenced virtio-net-PMD below is dpdk1.3 compatible but not necessarily a newer version. So I assume will need to update it for 1.6, etc.

So, can anyone confirm that the intel-provided virtio pmd with dpdk 1.6 does NOT work with virtual box?

From: Vincent JARDIN <vincent.jardin@6wind.com<mailto:vincent.jardin@6wind.com>>
Date: Saturday, February 8, 2014 4:39 AM
To: Ericsson <reda.haddad@ericsson.com<mailto:reda.haddad@ericsson.com>>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org<mailto:dev@dpdk.org>" <dev@dpdk.org<mailto:dev@dpdk.org>>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] igb_uio fails on VirtualBox virtio

@ 2014-02-10 22:32     ` Vincent JARDIN
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2014-02-10 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reda Haddad; +Cc: dev

> I guess the referenced virtio-net-PMD below is dpdk1.3 compatible but
> not necessarily a newer version. So I assume will need to update it for
> 1.6, etc.

Where do you see that it does not support the latest on dpdk.org?
   http://dpdk.org/browse/virtio-net-pmd/log/virtio_user.c

About 1.6, stay tuned.

> So, can anyone confirm that the intel-provided virtio pmd with dpdk 1.6
> does NOT work with virtual box?

you have the source code...

Best regards,
   Vincent

* Re: [dpdk-dev] igb_uio fails on VirtualBox virtio
@ 2014-02-11  0:35       ` Reda Haddad
From: Reda Haddad @ 2014-02-11  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent JARDIN; +Cc: dev

On 2/10/14 2:32 PM, "Vincent JARDIN" <vincent.jardin@6wind.com> wrote:

>> I guess the referenced virtio-net-PMD below is dpdk1.3 compatible but
>> not necessarily a newer version. So I assume will need to update it for
>> 1.6, etc.
>
>Where do you see that it does not support the latest on dpdk.org?

I tried to compile it on 1.6 and it failed.

>   http://dpdk.org/browse/virtio-net-pmd/log/virtio_user.c
>
>About 1.6, stay tuned.
>
>> So, can anyone confirm that the intel-provided virtio pmd with dpdk 1.6
>> does NOT work with virtual box?
>
>you have the source code...

It failed for me. So I wanted to check if someone managed to compile it.