DPDK patches and discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [dpdk-dev] Inputs needed - testing l2fwd
@ 2015-03-24 18:55 Shankari Vaidyalingam
  2015-03-25  4:10 ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Shankari Vaidyalingam @ 2015-03-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I'm trying to run sample DPDK  applications by injecting packets from an
external traffic generator.
I'm not able to get the frames to reach the RX queue of the corresponding
port and make the PMD detect those packets and get the application process
them.

My configuration is:

 I'm using Oracle VirtualBox to have 2 virtual network adapters for use in
the sample application. I have configured both the network adapters in the
"Bridged Networking" mode.
When I open the VM I can see the interfaces - eth0 and eth1
I bound the 2 interfaces to igb_uio driver and then configured the hugepage
mapping.
When I try sending the frames from an external source I had set the dest
MAC to the MAC addr of the ports bound to DPDK.
But still I'm not able to see either the "Frames received" or "Frames
dropped" count getting incremented.

I tried googling and tried various options for networking mode as
(Bridged/Host Only...) but none of them seem to work fine.

I'm sure that I'm missing something.
Can you please help me in this regard.

Regards
Shankari.V

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Inputs needed - testing l2fwd
  2015-03-24 18:55 [dpdk-dev] Inputs needed - testing l2fwd Shankari Vaidyalingam
@ 2015-03-25  4:10 ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
  2015-03-25  5:08   ` Stephen Hemminger
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Shankari Vaidyalingam @ 2015-03-25  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

Can anyone please help me whether I'm missing something in the below
exercise

Regards
Shankari.V

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Shankari Vaidyalingam <
shankari.v2k6@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to run sample DPDK  applications by injecting packets from an
> external traffic generator.
> I'm not able to get the frames to reach the RX queue of the corresponding
> port and make the PMD detect those packets and get the application process
> them.
>
> My configuration is:
>
>  I'm using Oracle VirtualBox to have 2 virtual network adapters for use in
> the sample application. I have configured both the network adapters in the
> "Bridged Networking" mode.
> When I open the VM I can see the interfaces - eth0 and eth1
> I bound the 2 interfaces to igb_uio driver and then configured the
> hugepage mapping.
> When I try sending the frames from an external source I had set the dest
> MAC to the MAC addr of the ports bound to DPDK.
> But still I'm not able to see either the "Frames received" or "Frames
> dropped" count getting incremented.
>
> I tried googling and tried various options for networking mode as
> (Bridged/Host Only...) but none of them seem to work fine.
>
> I'm sure that I'm missing something.
> Can you please help me in this regard.
>
> Regards
> Shankari.V
>
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Inputs needed - testing l2fwd
  2015-03-25  4:10 ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
@ 2015-03-25  5:08   ` Stephen Hemminger
       [not found]     ` <CAGeyXNdnnnWV06s2i26uXpcVNCcwMhG2hpyBtk+N1pcQKkgfCg@mail.gmail.com>
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2015-03-25  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shankari Vaidyalingam; +Cc: dev

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:40:47 +0530
Shankari Vaidyalingam <shankari.v2k6@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Can anyone please help me whether I'm missing something in the below
> exercise
> 
> Regards
> Shankari.V
> 
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Shankari Vaidyalingam <
> shankari.v2k6@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> > I'm trying to run sample DPDK  applications by injecting packets from an
> > external traffic generator.
> > I'm not able to get the frames to reach the RX queue of the corresponding
> > port and make the PMD detect those packets and get the application process
> > them.
> >
> > My configuration is:
> >
> >  I'm using Oracle VirtualBox to have 2 virtual network adapters for use in
> > the sample application. I have configured both the network adapters in the
> > "Bridged Networking" mode.
> > When I open the VM I can see the interfaces - eth0 and eth1
> > I bound the 2 interfaces to igb_uio driver and then configured the
> > hugepage mapping.
> > When I try sending the frames from an external source I had set the dest
> > MAC to the MAC addr of the ports bound to DPDK.
> > But still I'm not able to see either the "Frames received" or "Frames
> > dropped" count getting incremented.
> >
> > I tried googling and tried various options for networking mode as
> > (Bridged/Host Only...) but none of them seem to work fine.
> >
> > I'm sure that I'm missing something.
> > Can you please help me in this regard.
> >
> > Regards
> > Shankari.V
> >
> >

VirtualBox has its own version of virtio which is not compatiable
with the current version of DPDK virtio driver.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Inputs needed - testing l2fwd
       [not found]     ` <CAGeyXNdnnnWV06s2i26uXpcVNCcwMhG2hpyBtk+N1pcQKkgfCg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2015-03-25  6:25       ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
  2015-03-31  5:55         ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Shankari Vaidyalingam @ 2015-03-25  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, dev

+dpdk-dev

> Thanks for the response.
>
> I'm using Intel 82545 EM as the network adapter type and not using
> virtio-net
> I also checked whether 82545 NIC is supported by DPDK and found that it is
> supported.
>
> Regards
> Shankari.V
>
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Stephen Hemminger <
> stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:40:47 +0530
>> Shankari Vaidyalingam <shankari.v2k6@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Can anyone please help me whether I'm missing something in the below
>> > exercise
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Shankari.V
>> >
>> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Shankari Vaidyalingam <
>> > shankari.v2k6@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > > I'm trying to run sample DPDK  applications by injecting packets from
>> an
>> > > external traffic generator.
>> > > I'm not able to get the frames to reach the RX queue of the
>> corresponding
>> > > port and make the PMD detect those packets and get the application
>> process
>> > > them.
>> > >
>> > > My configuration is:
>> > >
>> > >  I'm using Oracle VirtualBox to have 2 virtual network adapters for
>> use in
>> > > the sample application. I have configured both the network adapters
>> in the
>> > > "Bridged Networking" mode.
>> > > When I open the VM I can see the interfaces - eth0 and eth1
>> > > I bound the 2 interfaces to igb_uio driver and then configured the
>> > > hugepage mapping.
>> > > When I try sending the frames from an external source I had set the
>> dest
>> > > MAC to the MAC addr of the ports bound to DPDK.
>> > > But still I'm not able to see either the "Frames received" or "Frames
>> > > dropped" count getting incremented.
>> > >
>> > > I tried googling and tried various options for networking mode as
>> > > (Bridged/Host Only...) but none of them seem to work fine.
>> > >
>> > > I'm sure that I'm missing something.
>> > > Can you please help me in this regard.
>> > >
>> > > Regards
>> > > Shankari.V
>> > >
>> > >
>>
>> VirtualBox has its own version of virtio which is not compatiable
>> with the current version of DPDK virtio driver.
>>
>
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Inputs needed - testing l2fwd
  2015-03-25  6:25       ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
@ 2015-03-31  5:55         ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Shankari Vaidyalingam @ 2015-03-31  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, dev

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Shankari Vaidyalingam <
shankari.v2k6@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> +dpdk-dev
>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> I'm using Intel 82545 EM as the network adapter type and not using
>> virtio-net
>> I also checked whether 82545 NIC is supported by DPDK and found that it
>> is supported.
>>
>> Regards
>> Shankari.V
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Stephen Hemminger <
>> stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:40:47 +0530
>>> Shankari Vaidyalingam <shankari.v2k6@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> > Hi,
>>> >
>>> > Can anyone please help me whether I'm missing something in the below
>>> > exercise
>>> >
>>> > Regards
>>> > Shankari.V
>>> >
>>> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Shankari Vaidyalingam <
>>> > shankari.v2k6@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > > I'm trying to run sample DPDK  applications by injecting packets
>>> from an
>>> > > external traffic generator.
>>> > > I'm not able to get the frames to reach the RX queue of the
>>> corresponding
>>> > > port and make the PMD detect those packets and get the application
>>> process
>>> > > them.
>>> > >
>>> > > My configuration is:
>>> > >
>>> > >  I'm using Oracle VirtualBox to have 2 virtual network adapters for
>>> use in
>>> > > the sample application. I have configured both the network adapters
>>> in the
>>> > > "Bridged Networking" mode.
>>> > > When I open the VM I can see the interfaces - eth0 and eth1
>>> > > I bound the 2 interfaces to igb_uio driver and then configured the
>>> > > hugepage mapping.
>>> > > When I try sending the frames from an external source I had set the
>>> dest
>>> > > MAC to the MAC addr of the ports bound to DPDK.
>>> > > But still I'm not able to see either the "Frames received" or "Frames
>>> > > dropped" count getting incremented.
>>> > >
>>> > > I tried googling and tried various options for networking mode as
>>> > > (Bridged/Host Only...) but none of them seem to work fine.
>>> > >
>>> > > I'm sure that I'm missing something.
>>> > > Can you please help me in this regard.
>>> > >
>>> > > Regards
>>> > > Shankari.V
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>>
>>> VirtualBox has its own version of virtio which is not compatiable
>>> with the current version of DPDK virtio driver.
>>>
>>
>>
>
Hi,

I'm still facing the issue where I'm not able to receive the frames in the
l2fwd app that I'm running on the VM.
I also tried googling and read similar posts in the discussion lists but
not able to get the frames in the l2fwd app.
I've created the VMs using Oracle VirtualBox.
If anyone has tried using VirtualBox please let me know how to resolve this.
I tried running in both the ways but it didnt work:

(1)  Configuration inside a VM:

Traffic gen ------>  eth0 -------> L2fwd app -----> eth1

(2)

Traffic gen ---->  eth0 ----> VM (eth0) -----> L2fwd app -----> VM (eth1)


Regards
Shankari.V

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2015-03-31  5:55 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2015-03-24 18:55 [dpdk-dev] Inputs needed - testing l2fwd Shankari Vaidyalingam
2015-03-25  4:10 ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
2015-03-25  5:08   ` Stephen Hemminger
     [not found]     ` <CAGeyXNdnnnWV06s2i26uXpcVNCcwMhG2hpyBtk+N1pcQKkgfCg@mail.gmail.com>
2015-03-25  6:25       ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
2015-03-31  5:55         ` Shankari Vaidyalingam

DPDK patches and discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/0 dev/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 dev dev/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev \
		dev@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index dev

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.dev


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git