DPDK patches and discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [dpdk-dev] Need info on --vdev option
@ 2015-03-23 15:54 Shankari Vaidyalingam
  2015-03-23 16:01 ` Olivier MATZ
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Shankari Vaidyalingam @ 2015-03-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi

I'm trying to do a packet capture on the DPDK interface while running l2fwd
sample application and injecting packets from a traffic generator.
I'm getting the below error when I give this command: sudo ./build/l2fw-c
0x03 -n 2 -- -p 0x03 --vdev
'eth_pcap0,tx_pcap=/home/controller/pkt_capt/try.pcap'

Pls let me know if I'm missing something.
I also tried checking the documentation and confirmed that the ordering of
the options is correct.
But still I'm getting this error.
I also tried various combinations like: But none of them worked.

sudo ./build/l2fwd -c 0x03 -n 2 --vdev
'eth_pcap0,tx_pcap=/home/controller/pkt_capt/try.pcap' --p 0x03
sudo ./build/l2fwd -c 0x03 -n 2 --vdev
'eth_pcap0,tx_pcap=/home/controller/pkt_capt/try.pcap' -- -p 0x03
sudo ./build/l2fwd -c 0x03 -n 2 --vdev
'eth_pcap0,tx_pcap=/home/controller/pkt_capt/try.pcap'
sudo ./build/l2fwd -c 0x03 -n 2 --p 0x03 --vdev
'eth_pcap0,tx_pcap=/home/controller/pkt_capt/try.pcap'
sudo ./build/l2fwd -c 0x03 -n 2 -- -p 0x03 --vdev
'eth_pcap0,tx_pcap=/home/controller/pkt_capt/try.pcap'
sudo ./build/l2fwd -c 0x03 -n 2 -- -p 0x03
sudo ./build/l2fwd -c 0x03 -n 2 -- -p 0x03 --vdev
'eth_pcap0,tx_pcap=/home/controller/pkt_capt/try.pcap'

EAL: Detected lcore 0 as core 0 on socket 0
EAL: Detected lcore 1 as core 1 on socket 0
EAL: Support maximum 64 logical core(s) by configuration.
EAL: Detected 2 lcore(s)
EAL: Setting up memory...
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff21a200000 (size = 0x200000)
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x3ec00000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff1db400000 (size = 0x3ec00000)
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff1db000000 (size = 0x200000)
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff1dac00000 (size = 0x200000)
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff1da800000 (size = 0x200000)
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff1da400000 (size = 0x200000)
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x400000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff1d9e00000 (size = 0x400000)
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff1d9a00000 (size = 0x200000)
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff1d9600000 (size = 0x200000)
EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7ff1d9200000 (size = 0x200000)
EAL: Requesting 512 pages of size 2MB from socket 0
EAL: TSC frequency is ~2683644 KHz
EAL: WARNING: cpu flags constant_tsc=yes nonstop_tsc=no -> using unreliable
clock cycles !
EAL: Master core 0 is ready (tid=1b8d6800)
EAL: Core 1 is ready (tid=d87f8700)
EAL: PCI device 0000:00:08.0 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:100f rte_em_pmd
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7ff21b880000
EAL: PCI device 0000:00:09.0 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:100f rte_em_pmd
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7ff21b860000
EAL: PCI device 0000:00:0a.0 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:100f rte_em_pmd
EAL:   0000:00:0a.0 not managed by UIO driver, skipping
EAL: PCI device 0000:00:11.0 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:100f rte_em_pmd
EAL:   0000:00:11.0 not managed by UIO driver, skipping
./build/l2fwd: unrecognized option '--vdev'
./build/l2fwd [EAL options] -- -p PORTMASK [-q NQ]
  -p PORTMASK: hexadecimal bitmask of ports to configure
  -q NQ: number of queue (=ports) per lcore (default is 1)
  -T PERIOD: statistics will be refreshed each PERIOD seconds (0 to
disable, 10 default, 86400 maximum)
EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
  Cause: Invalid L2FWD arguments


Regards
Shankari.V

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Need info on --vdev option
  2015-03-23 15:54 [dpdk-dev] Need info on --vdev option Shankari Vaidyalingam
@ 2015-03-23 16:01 ` Olivier MATZ
  2015-03-23 17:47   ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Olivier MATZ @ 2015-03-23 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shankari Vaidyalingam, dev

Hi Shankari,

On 03/23/2015 04:54 PM, Shankari Vaidyalingam wrote:
> Hi
> 
> I'm trying to do a packet capture on the DPDK interface while running l2fwd
> sample application and injecting packets from a traffic generator.
> I'm getting the below error when I give this command: sudo ./build/l2fw-c
> 0x03 -n 2 -- -p 0x03 --vdev
> 'eth_pcap0,tx_pcap=/home/controller/pkt_capt/try.pcap'
> 
> [...]
> EAL:   0000:00:11.0 not managed by UIO driver, skipping
> ./build/l2fwd: unrecognized option '--vdev'
> ./build/l2fwd [EAL options] -- -p PORTMASK [-q NQ]
>   -p PORTMASK: hexadecimal bitmask of ports to configure
>   -q NQ: number of queue (=ports) per lcore (default is 1)
>   -T PERIOD: statistics will be refreshed each PERIOD seconds (0 to
> disable, 10 default, 86400 maximum)
> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>   Cause: Invalid L2FWD arguments

Please note the position of "--" in your command line. This is
used to separate the arguments of eal and application. As --vdev
is an eal argument, it should go before the "--".

Regards,
Olivier

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Need info on --vdev option
  2015-03-23 16:01 ` Olivier MATZ
@ 2015-03-23 17:47   ` Shankari Vaidyalingam
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Shankari Vaidyalingam @ 2015-03-23 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier MATZ; +Cc: dev

Hi Olivier,

Thanks a lot.
I changed the ordering and it worked. But the pcap file was empty even when
I specified the rx interface.
I have a basic doubt.  When the ethernet interfaces are bound to teh igb
driver they become user interfaces and no longer shown in "ifconfig"
command output. By what name can we identify those interfaces after they
get bound to igb driver and become dpdk interfaces?

Regards
Shankari.V


On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Olivier MATZ <olivier.matz@6wind.com>
wrote:

> Hi Shankari,
>
> On 03/23/2015 04:54 PM, Shankari Vaidyalingam wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm trying to do a packet capture on the DPDK interface while running
> l2fwd
> > sample application and injecting packets from a traffic generator.
> > I'm getting the below error when I give this command: sudo ./build/l2fw-c
> > 0x03 -n 2 -- -p 0x03 --vdev
> > 'eth_pcap0,tx_pcap=/home/controller/pkt_capt/try.pcap'
> >
> > [...]
> > EAL:   0000:00:11.0 not managed by UIO driver, skipping
> > ./build/l2fwd: unrecognized option '--vdev'
> > ./build/l2fwd [EAL options] -- -p PORTMASK [-q NQ]
> >   -p PORTMASK: hexadecimal bitmask of ports to configure
> >   -q NQ: number of queue (=ports) per lcore (default is 1)
> >   -T PERIOD: statistics will be refreshed each PERIOD seconds (0 to
> > disable, 10 default, 86400 maximum)
> > EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
> >   Cause: Invalid L2FWD arguments
>
> Please note the position of "--" in your command line. This is
> used to separate the arguments of eal and application. As --vdev
> is an eal argument, it should go before the "--".
>
> Regards,
> Olivier
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2015-03-23 17:47 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2015-03-23 15:54 [dpdk-dev] Need info on --vdev option Shankari Vaidyalingam
2015-03-23 16:01 ` Olivier MATZ
2015-03-23 17:47   ` Shankari Vaidyalingam

DPDK patches and discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/0 dev/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 dev dev/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev \
		dev@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index dev

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.dev


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git