On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 9:37 AM Honnappa Nagarahalli < Honnappa.Nagarahalli@arm.com> wrote: > + Lijuan, Owen, Juraj > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Thomas Monjalon > > Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 7:02 AM > > To: Aman Singh ; Yuying Zhang > > > > Cc: david.marchand@redhat.com; dev@dpdk.org > > Subject: testpmd logging > > > > Hello, > > > > I see testpmd is doing log with EAL entity. Example: > > RTE_LOG(ERR, EAL, "The device: %s has been added!\n" > > We could also discuss the log level. > > > > Please can we work on replacing these logs? > If we want to revisit logging in testpmd, even though I know I'm invoking a case of second system syndrome here, I would love to see some form of structured logging output. Even just writing out records to a CSV file with proper escaping would work great, or doing a json object per log record as a backup. JSON might be easier since libjansson is already in DPDK, and we could disable the json logging flag if libjansson was not present at compile time. > DTS uses some of the logs from testpmd to validate the results. I am not > sure what all logs are used. The old version of dts (the one with its own repository) is fairly tightly bound to testpmd's logging. > We need to choose how to log (printf or registered log entity) and be > > consistent. > > What do you think? > Registered log entries are much better in my opinion since they provide a more machine-friendly format and DTS has to parse testpmd output.