* [dpdk-dev] rte_mbuf - contiguous ?
@ 2013-10-24  7:49 Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2013-10-24  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

Is the rte_mbuf/packet data always map to a contiguous area in memory, and
so if I can do a linear copy of it ?

Cheers,
pepe

--
To stop learning is like to stop loving.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte_mbuf - contiguous ?
@ 2013-10-24  8:03 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2013-10-24  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Gavine Cueto; +Cc: dev

Hello,

24/10/2013 09:49, Jose Gavine Cueto :
> Is the rte_mbuf/packet data always map to a contiguous area in memory, and
> so if I can do a linear copy of it ?

No, in scatter/gather case, mbuf can be splitted in non contiguous areas.

--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte_mbuf - contiguous ?
@ 2013-10-24  8:09   ` Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2013-10-24  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Thomas,

Thank you for the information.  Because I would like to copy an rte_mbuf to
a memory mapped file for an application.  Is there some dpdk API for this
copy operation (linear/nonlinear) or are these left with the application
developers ?

Thanks,
Pepe

--

@ 2013-10-24  8:32     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2013-10-24  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Gavine Cueto; +Cc: dev

24/10/2013 10:09, Jose Gavine Cueto :
> Thank you for the information.  Because I would like to copy an rte_mbuf to
> a memory mapped file for an application.  Is there some dpdk API for this
> copy operation (linear/nonlinear) or are these left with the application
> developers ?

You can have some tips by looking at rte_pktmbuf_is_contiguous:
http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__mbuf_8h.html#a511a116ae4822037d4f1fb561aa4ffcf
and rte_pktmbuf_clone:
http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__mbuf_8h.html#a1d26cc982f6363cd7492dd70cc5c287c

--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte_mbuf - contiguous ?
@ 2013-10-25 14:04       ` Jose Gavine Cueto
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2013-10-25 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Hi Thomas,

I've read both the rte_pktmbuf_is_contiguous and rte_pktmbuf_clone.  I
think that I can get each mbuf segments and copy them to memory linearly.
 Thanks for the tip.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Thomas Monjalon

--
To stop learning is like to stop loving.