From: David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com>
To: Balaji K N <balaji.k.n@ericsson.com>
Cc: "Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com>,
	"dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] long initialization time for EAL init
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:02:37 +0200

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:56 AM Balaji K N <balaji.k.n@ericsson.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried by disabling mlockall and not do see long time for EAL init and is done quickly. Thanks for help.
>
> ovs-vswitchd unix:/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock -vconsole:emer -vsyslog:err -vfile:info --no-chdir --log-file=/var/log/openvswitch/ovs-vswitchd.log --pidfile=/var/run/openvswitch/ovs-vswitchd.pid --detach

Ok, just keep in mind that pages from the process are likely not
prefaulted and you could get random packet drops at the start of
packet handling.
You _might_ also get pages swapped out during the life of the process,
and again random packet drops.

We tried to enhance the DPDK init in this regard as Anatoly
mentionned, but this is not backported to 18.11 atm.

--
David Marchand