Since this topic keeps coming up in other threads I'll chime in with my $0.01 here. We've been using CentOS 7 for awhile (and working on migrating off) but have had to leverage devtoolset/llvmtoolset for various reasons. I remember a discussion of installing a different compiler coming up but don't remember which thread that was in/what the outcome was. While I'd like to just brush over C7 and say there is a compatible compiler available so just make the change I also realize that making that change could be quite disruptive to existing code bases. However, the 22.11 LTS will be EOL in Nov 2024. CentOS 7 is EOL Jun 2024. For the 23.x series and going forward I don't think starting with a C11 requirement is an unreasonable ask. On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 6:36 AM Bruce Richardson wrote: > Traditionally, DPDK has never specified a minimum C standard used either > in DPDK builds or for applications using DPDK. Following discussion > on-list about C standards, this RFC attempts to start the process of > codifying what our standards expectations are. No code changes are made > by this RFC, instead only the build parameters are changed to explicitly > specify: > > * C99 standard is used to build DPDK itself. This is supported by all > supported compiler versions of GCC and Clang. > * The headers are checked for compatibility with gcc89 standard, which > was the default standard used by the oldest supported version of GCC. > DPDK headers do not build with the official C89 standard, and, to the > best of my knowledge, have never done so. > > Bruce Richardson (1): > build: increase minimum C standard for DPDK builds > > buildtools/chkincs/meson.build | 1 + > meson.build | 1 + > 2 files changed, 2 insertions(+) > > -- > 2.37.2 > >