From: Jerin Jacob <jerinjacobk@gmail.com>
To: Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@6wind.com>
Cc: Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>,
	"dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>,  Anoob Joseph <anoobj@marvell.com>,
	Akhil Goyal <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] drivers/octeontx2: compilation fails without RTE_LIBRTE_SECURITY
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 20:36:29 +0530	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 8:26 PM Thierry Herbelot
<thierry.herbelot@6wind.com> wrote:

> On 2/6/20 3:48 PM, Jerin Jacob wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 8:06 PM Thierry Herbelot
> > <thierry.herbelot@6wind.com> wrote:

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> On the other hand, there is no reason delivering unused code in a DPDK
> >> application: an application should be free to select its needed 'modules'.
> >
> > Just to understand the use case, What would be the downside of
> > compiling unwanted code?
> > In meson, it takes only jiffies to compile code and If we use,
> > -no-whole-archive then the generated binary will  not  be bloated,
> > Considering the case where "make" build system will be deprecated soon
> > and,  for meson, I don't think, we are
> > planning to take the route of disabling the "core libraries".
> >
> > Could you share the real-world use for this?
> > My only concern is we can not make tons of #define in the driver code.
> > So, eventually, we end up
> > disabling the driver.
>
> Hello Jerin,

Hello Thierry,

> Our use case is that IPsec is provided as part of 6WIND stack, not using
> the version from DPDK (we are using the crypto PMDs from DPDK).

I see. But still, I don't see any issue even If the 6WIND stack is not using any
security or IPsec lib files. Both library and header files will be just unused
in the install directory. Right? Or am I missing something?

> In any case, as the compilation of DPDK is (still) driven by a separate
> configuration file, it should be possible that some combination of

No configuration file option with meson to opt-in and opt-out the library.