From: Alexandru Ciobotaru <alex.ciobotaru@gmail.com>
To: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: [dpdk-dev]  Question about adding a new EAL
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 22:23:50 +0300	[thread overview]

Greetings,

I'm currently checking on how to add new EAL "app" to the DPDK so I started
by adding a new "xyzapp" next to "linuxapp" and "bsdapp".
Now, I would probably expect to make this new EAL mainline compliant on
day, and to avoid future headaches, the plan is to avoid modifying things
outside of my "xyzapp".
And thus, the first adaptation issue has arrived:

EAL is designed so that I can re-implement the "common" source files into
my "xyzapp" but how would I override the "include/rte_xyz.h" headers from
the "common" part of the EAL library (e.g.
librte_eal/common/include/rte_eal.h)? Some of the includes in these headers
are currently N/A to my toolchain (via CROSS=) or to my executive
environment.
For example I do not have <sched.h> or <sys/queue.h> which are currently
included in some EAL API headers.
Should more work into making the "common" part truly generic be put into
this?
Is the current EAL API frozen for compatibility reasons? Any "next" branch
where such modifications are accepted?
Or, is there a straight method of enforcing my "xyzapp" symlinked EAL
headers in the build directory without modifying the "common" Makefile?

Thank you,
Alex