Just wanted to bring it to your attention, In Mellanox driver there is a requirement to exchange fds between primary and secondary and similar usage is seen, the primary sends the port_id and the secondary refers to the rte_eth_devices in the driver, The functions are - mlx5_mp_secondary_handle in secondary - mlx5_mp_req_start_rxtx in primary which is invoked from mlx5_dev_start. In my implementation I have used the name and invoked get_port_by_name, I can also pass the port_id from the primary to make it uniform. So with similar usage in Mellanox is there a problem there as well on referring to the rte_eth_devices from the PMD ? On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 3:17 PM Ferruh Yigit wrote: > On 1/17/2022 6:33 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote: > > 17/01/2022 19:28, Ferruh Yigit: > >>> + ret = rte_eth_dev_get_port_by_name(request_param->port_name, > &port_id); > >>> + if (ret) { > >>> + TAP_LOG(ERR, "Failed to get port id for %s", > >>> + request_param->port_name); > >>> + return -1; > >>> + } > >>> + dev = &rte_eth_devices[port_id]; > >> > >> Since this is not really related with your patch, I want to have a > separate thread for it. > >> > >> It is not good to access the 'rte_eth_devices' global variable directly > from a driver, that > >> is error prone. > >> > >> Btw, what 'peer' supposed to contain? > >> > >> It can be solved by adding an internal API, only for drivers to get > eth_dev from the name, > >> like: 'rte_eth_dev_get_by_name()'. > >> This way a few other usage can be converted to this API. > >> > >> @Thomas and @Andrew what do you think about the new API proposal? > > > > It looks similar to rte_eth_dev_get_port_by_name() which returns a > port_id. > > Exactly, but get eth_dev directly for drivers. For drivers no need to work > with port_id > handler, they can use eth_dev directly. > > Another solution can be an getter function for drivers, which gets port_id > and returns > the eth_dev. > > > It is a bit strange for an ethdev driver to not have access to its own > ethdev struct. > > Isn't there something broken in the logic? > > > > This is callback function between primary and secondary applications sync. > So port name > will be same for both, but eth_dev will be different and port_id may be > different. > Driver finds its own eth_dev from the shared port name. > >