* [dpdk-dev] About a zero copy framework
       [not found] <mailman.0.1386667792.31234.dev@dpdk.org>
@ 2013-12-10  9:40 ` GongJinrong
From: GongJinrong @ 2013-12-10  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
      I am trying to develop an open source guest/host zero copy
communication channel framework for kvm, I found DPDK has similar module,
but it seems couples with intel NICs, how can I use DPDK to do the zero copy
for kvm without intel NICs(host to guest or guest to guest)? I only need a
data channel framework.

Best Regards
Jinrong Gong

* Re: [dpdk-dev] About a zero copy framework
@ 2013-12-10 21:09   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2013-12-10 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GongJinrong; +Cc: dev

Hello,

10/12/2013 17:40, GongJinrong :
>       I am trying to develop an open source guest/host zero copy
> communication channel framework for kvm, I found DPDK has similar module,
> but it seems couples with intel NICs, how can I use DPDK to do the zero copy
> for kvm without intel NICs(host to guest or guest to guest)? I only need a
> data channel framework.

Have you seen virtio-net-pmd ?
	http://dpdk.org/browse/virtio-net-pmd
It could be close to what you want.

--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] About a zero copy framework
@ 2013-12-11  2:21     ` jinho hwang
From: jinho hwang @ 2013-12-11  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Thomas Monjalon
<thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 10/12/2013 17:40, GongJinrong :
>>       I am trying to develop an open source guest/host zero copy
>> communication channel framework for kvm, I found DPDK has similar module,
>> but it seems couples with intel NICs, how can I use DPDK to do the zero copy
>> for kvm without intel NICs(host to guest or guest to guest)? I only need a
>> data channel framework.
>
> Have you seen virtio-net-pmd ?
>         http://dpdk.org/browse/virtio-net-pmd
> It could be close to what you want.
>
> --
> Thomas

You can also look into DPDK + OpenVSwitch (OVS). Intel integrated DPDK
in order to achieve high-speed packet delivery with zero-copy.