* [dpdk-dev] Multiple LCore receiving from same port/queue
@ 2013-10-16 20:32 Sambath Kumar Balasubramanian
From: Sambath Kumar Balasubramanian @ 2013-10-16 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

  I have a test dpdk application with 2 lcores receiving packets
using rte_eth_rx_burst API. Is this a supported packet processing model.
The reason I am asking is I am running into some trouble with this model.

Thanks,
Sambath

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Multiple LCore receiving from same port/queue
@ 2013-10-16 21:06 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2013-10-16 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sambath Kumar Balasubramanian; +Cc: dev

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 13:32:33 -0700
Sambath Kumar Balasubramanian <sambath.balasubramanian@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have a test dpdk application with 2 lcores receiving packets
> using rte_eth_rx_burst API. Is this a supported packet processing model.
> The reason I am asking is I am running into some trouble with this model.
>
> Thanks,
> Sambath

For performance reasons, receive and transmit functions are not thread safe.
You need to have one queue per lcore, or use locking.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Multiple LCore receiving from same port/queue
@ 2013-10-16 21:12 ` Vladimir Medvedkin
From: Vladimir Medvedkin @ 2013-10-16 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sambath Kumar Balasubramanian; +Cc: dev

Hi,

By default, you can't poll same queue on same port from different lcores.
If you need poll same queue on several lcores use locks to avoid race
conditions.

@ 2013-10-16 21:37   ` Sambath Kumar Balasubramanian
From: Sambath Kumar Balasubramanian @ 2013-10-16 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Medvedkin; +Cc: dev

Thanks Stephen and Vladimir. Appreciate the quick response.

Thanks,
Sambath