* [dpdk-dev] DPDK - VIRTIO performance problems
@ 2014-10-12 12:37 Yan Freedland
From: Yan Freedland @ 2014-10-12 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi

I am checking performance DPDK VIRTIO mode running on KVM (Linux ubuntu 3.11.0-15-generic).
The maximum throughput I reached was 4Gbps and then I saw an interesting phenomena.

Every ~2min traffic stopped completely and then immediately came back. This happened in a periodic fashion.

I have never seen such thing in a pass-through mode, where I reached very much higher rates of course.

Can you please help in resolving this problem in VIRTIO ?

Thank you
Yan

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK - VIRTIO performance problems
@ 2014-10-12 13:17 ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2014-10-12 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yan Freedland; +Cc: dev

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 12:37:37PM +0000, Yan Freedland wrote:
> Every ~2min traffic stopped completely and then immediately came back. This
> happened in a periodic fashion.

To me it sounds like it could be similar to what I've seen when I ran out of
mbuf's or ran out of RX / TX descriptor entries. It could be worth checking
the error counters on the interfaces with DPDK and Linux OS / ethtool to see
what might be incrementing during the failed time periods.

Matthew.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK - VIRTIO performance problems
@ 2014-10-13  3:09   ` Ouyang, Changchun
From: Ouyang, Changchun @ 2014-10-13  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall, Yan Freedland; +Cc: dev

Hi ,

I didn't meet this issue before,
I am not sure if the following patch will fix this issue or not. Please try it.
http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/779/

By the way, what kind of backend did you use?
User space vhost, or other backend?

Thanks
Changchun

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK - VIRTIO performance problems
@ 2014-10-13  7:04     ` Yan Freedland
From: Yan Freedland @ 2014-10-13  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ouyang, Changchun, Matthew Hall; +Cc: dev

Hi

I found that what blocked me was actually the "nf_conntrack",
So enlarging the maximum there solved the issue.

Thanks
Yan