From: "Liang, Cunming" <cunming.liang@intel.com>
To: Alex Markuze <alex@weka.io>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] nic loopback
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 03:33:11 +0000	[thread overview]

It’s a pain VF can’t set the register directly.
As kernel ixgbe don’t support to set the value, I’m afraid you have to modify kernel ixgbe.
If your purpose is mainly for testing purpose.
One option is you can just set the register bit value to full 1 during device initialization.
Another option is you can choose to use DPDK as host PF.
Running testpmd in host, and set such register by interactive command line.

Ideally it’s better to add a kind of VF to PF mailbox message.
Host PF delegate VF to enable the local pool loopback.
So during runtime, VF can proactive to enable/disable the ability.