From: Anant Mudambi <amudambi@paloaltonetworks.com>
To: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-dev] Tx doesn't work on PCI-passthrough I350
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 00:25:29 +0000

Hi,

My setup:
Qemu+KVM
Host OS: CentOS, Linux kernel version 2.6.32
Guest OS: Linux kernel version 3.10.0, with a DPDK application running.
Physical NIC: Intel I350 T4 using igb driver
On guest VM: 2 (out of 4) ports of the I350 are virtualized using PCI-passthrough (no VFs, SR-IOV is not enabled in the NIC eeprom)

2 other (non-DPDK) VMs are connected through the DPDK VM as follows:

VM1---DPDK VM---VM2

On doing a ping from VM1 to VM2 (or the other way), on the DPDK VM, the packet is received on 1 port and sent out of the other but doesn't reach VM2.
I turned on CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_E1000_DEBUG_RX and CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_E1000_DEBUG_TX but couldn't figure out where the transmitted packet went.
How can I debug this issue?

For comparison, the same setup works if the guest VM uses emulated e1000 NICs. I want to use igb/PCI-passthrough to be able to use multiple RX queues.

Please let me know if any other information is required.
Thanks,
Anant