* [dpdk-dev] igb PMD should set the default tx wthresh correctly.
@ 2015-07-16 17:16 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2015-07-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wenzhuo Lu; +Cc: dev

Why doesn't igb driver set the wthresh it wants as default?

I see:
	PMD: eth_igb_tx_queue_setup(): To improve 1G driver performance, consider setting the TX WTHRESH value to 4, 8, or 16.

But the default tx_conf has wthresh of 0.

	#define IGB_DEFAULT_TX_WTHRESH      0

Either message should be removed or default TX wthresh should change.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] igb PMD should set the default tx wthresh correctly.
@ 2015-07-17  0:52 ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2015-07-17  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

Hi Stephen,
I don't think there's a conflict. The message just reminder us that we can adjust the values to achieve better performance.
I saw ixgbe and i40e also use 0 as the same default value. To my opinion, it's good to keep the same behavior.
Thanks.

@ 2015-07-17  2:49   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2015-07-17  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lu, Wenzhuo; +Cc: dev

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 00:52:09 +0000
"Lu, Wenzhuo" <wenzhuo.lu@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
> I don't think there's a conflict. The message just reminder us that we can adjust the values to achieve better performance.
> I saw ixgbe and i40e also use 0 as the same default value. To my opinion, it's good to keep the same behavior.
> Thanks.

In my opnion, no application should have to make special case setup
for each device type. Having to have a table that lists all the parameters
for each device name is not supportable or scaleable.

The DPDK started out as "lets do benchmarks fast" but as a production
toolkit it needs to stop having this kind of thing.

The message shows up to the end-user, who thinks it is a driver bug.
The "us" is now real customers not DPDK developers.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] igb PMD should set the default tx wthresh correctly.
@ 2015-07-17  8:15     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-07-17  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, Lu, Wenzhuo; +Cc: dev

2015-07-16 19:49, Stephen Hemminger:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 00:52:09 +0000
> "Lu, Wenzhuo" <wenzhuo.lu@intel.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Stephen,
> > I don't think there's a conflict. The message just reminder us that we can adjust the values to achieve better performance.
> > I saw ixgbe and i40e also use 0 as the same default value. To my opinion, it's good to keep the same behavior.
> > Thanks.
>
> In my opnion, no application should have to make special case setup
> for each device type. Having to have a table that lists all the parameters
> for each device name is not supportable or scaleable.
>
> The DPDK started out as "lets do benchmarks fast" but as a production
> toolkit it needs to stop having this kind of thing.
>
> The message shows up to the end-user, who thinks it is a driver bug.
> The "us" is now real customers not DPDK developers.

+1 to have better default values and less scary messages.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] igb PMD should set the default tx wthresh correctly.
@ 2015-07-17 11:06       ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2015-07-17 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger, Lu, Wenzhuo; +Cc: dev

On 7/17/15, 9:15 AM, "dev on behalf of Thomas Monjalon"
<dev-bounces@dpdk.org on behalf of thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:

>2015-07-16 19:49, Stephen Hemminger:
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 00:52:09 +0000
>> "Lu, Wenzhuo" <wenzhuo.lu@intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Stephen,
>> > I don't think there's a conflict. The message just reminder us that
>>we can adjust the values to achieve better performance.
>> > I saw ixgbe and i40e also use 0 as the same default value. To my
>>opinion, it's good to keep the same behavior.
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> In my opnion, no application should have to make special case setup
>> for each device type. Having to have a table that lists all the
>>parameters
>> for each device name is not supportable or scaleable.
>>
>> The DPDK started out as "lets do benchmarks fast" but as a production
>> toolkit it needs to stop having this kind of thing.
>>
>> The message shows up to the end-user, who thinks it is a driver bug.
>> The "us" is now real customers not DPDK developers.
>
>+1 to have better default values and less scary messages.
+1 I agree we should have default values. The scary message is for
debugging only in the best of cases and just wrong for the normal case.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] igb PMD should set the default tx wthresh correctly.
@ 2015-07-20  2:16         ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2015-07-20  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith, Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

After checking the code,  igb and ixgbe/i40e's behavior is different for  tx_rs_thresh
and tx wthresh, so now I think it's no necessary to let them have the same default value.
Agree that we shall remove the message or set an appropriate value for tx wthresh.