* [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] release candidate 20.05-rc2
@ 2020-05-12  2:22 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-05-12  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: announce

A new DPDK release candidate is ready for testing:
	https://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/tag/?id=v20.05-rc2

There are 286 new patches in this snapshot.

Release notes:
	http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/rel_notes/release_20_05.html

Highlights of 20.05-rc2:
	- rte_graph
	- telemetry rework
	- ChaCha20-Poly1305 crypto algorithm

The -rc3 should include only some bug fixes, simple cleanups, doc
and tooling. We have one week to complete this milestone.
Then one more week (allowing -rc4) should be needed before the release.

Please test and report issues on bugs.dpdk.org.
As a community, we must close as many bugs as possible for -rc3.

Thank you everyone

* [dpdk-dev] Release candidate 20.05-rc2 ABI
@ 2020-05-12 16:41 ` Ray Kinsella
From: Ray Kinsella @ 2020-05-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, dpdk-dev, Ananyev, Konstantin, Yipeng Wang,
	Richardson, Bruce, Declan Doherty, Nicolas Chautru

Folks,

Few ABI observations based on the 20.05-rc2,
(please correct me if I am wrong)

1. rte_ring.h - struct rte_ring

Changes to the structure of rte_ring throws up a whole bunch of false positives that
have been suppressed in libabigail.ignore. It is not used by end applications
and should not be exposed in public headers.

Suggest that in the v20.11 timeframe we use the opportunity to use opaque pointers
in librte_efd, librte_hash, librte_pmd_ring, librte_ring, librte_pdump to make this
issue go away permanently.

2. rte_cryptodev_pmd.h - struct rte_cryptodev_ops

Similarly, changes to the structure of rte_cryptodev_ops are causing false
positives, also suppressed in libabigail.ignore. It is not used by end applications
and should not be exposed in public headers.

3. rte_bbdev.h - struct rte_bbdev_driver_info

Similarly, changes to the structure rte_bbdev are causing false
positives, also suppressed in libabigail.ignore. It is not used by end applications
and should not be exposed in public headers.

Thanks,

Ray K

On 12/05/2020 03:22, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> A new DPDK release candidate is ready for testing:
> 	https://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/tag/?id=v20.05-rc2
>
> There are 286 new patches in this snapshot.
>
> Release notes:
> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/rel_notes/release_20_05.html
>
> Highlights of 20.05-rc2:
> 	- rte_graph
> 	- telemetry rework
> 	- ChaCha20-Poly1305 crypto algorithm
>
> The -rc3 should include only some bug fixes, simple cleanups, doc
> and tooling. We have one week to complete this milestone.
> Then one more week (allowing -rc4) should be needed before the release.
>
> Please test and report issues on bugs.dpdk.org.
> As a community, we must close as many bugs as possible for -rc3.
>
> Thank you everyone

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Release candidate 20.05-rc2 ABI
@ 2020-05-12 20:40   ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2020-05-12 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Kinsella, thomas, dpdk-dev, Ananyev, Konstantin, Yipeng Wang,
	Richardson, Bruce, Declan Doherty, Nicolas Chautru, nd,
	Honnappa Nagarahalli
  Cc: nd

<snip>

> Subject: [dpdk-dev] Release candidate 20.05-rc2 ABI
>
> Folks,
>
> Few ABI observations based on the 20.05-rc2, (please correct me if I am
> wrong)
>
> 1. rte_ring.h - struct rte_ring
>
> Changes to the structure of rte_ring throws up a whole bunch of false
> positives that have been suppressed in libabigail.ignore. It is not used by end
> applications and should not be exposed in public headers.
>
> Suggest that in the v20.11 timeframe we use the opportunity to use opaque
> pointers in librte_efd, librte_hash, librte_pmd_ring, librte_ring, librte_pdump
> to make this issue go away permanently.
lirte_hash already uses opaque pointer, though it is called rte_hash, the structure definition is not exposed to the application.
librte_ring, using opaque pointers does not help as it has inline APIs called from the application.