From: "Zhou, Danny" <danny.zhou@intel.com>
To: Shivapriya Hiremath <shivpri.b@gmail.com>, Alex Markuze <alex@weka.io>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Why do we need iommu=pt?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 19:10:15 +0000	[thread overview]

IMHO, if memory protection with IOMMU is needed or not really depends on how you use
and deploy your DPDK based applications. For Telco network middle boxes, which adopts
a "close model" solution to achieve extremely high performance, the entire system including
HW, software in kernel and userspace are controlled by Telco vendors and assumed trustable, so
memory protection is not so important. While for Datacenters, which generally adopts a "open model"
solution allows running user space applications(e.g. tenant applications and VMs) which could
direct access NIC and DMA engine inside the NIC using modified DPDK PMD are not trustable
as they can potentially DAM to/from arbitrary memory regions using physical addresses, so IOMMU
is needed to provide strict memory protection, at the cost of negative performance impact.

So if you want to seek high performance, disable IOMMU in BIOS or OS. And if security is a major
concern, tune it on and tradeoff between performance and security. But I do NOT think is comes with
an extremely high performance costs according to our performance measurement, but it probably true
for 100G NIC.