From: "Dey, Souvik" <sodey@rbbn.com>
To: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Cc: "shahafs@mellanox.com" <shahafs@mellanox.com>,
	"yskoh@mellanox.com" <yskoh@mellanox.com>
Subject: [dpdk-dev] Vlan not working with Mellanox NIC on VmWare
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 18:31:26 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi All,
                We were trying to test the vlan filter with Melloanox nic(SR-IOV) on VmWare  using the mlx5_pmd. But found that after doing the mlx5_vlan_filter_set with the vlan id also, we are not receiving the tagged packets upto the application. The same works fine in we are using KVM as the hypervisor. To check if this the PF deiver issue, we removed the dpdk and made the vlan config on the linux interface and then found that the tagged packets are coming upto the VM. Moreover the same tag which was used by linux kernel keeps working with DPDK too even after reboot o the VM but new tags added through DPDK does not work . Is it necessary to add the tags every time to the linux netdev before using it through dpdk ? Though this does not sound right.Can somebody help me in why with dpdk we are not able to receive the tagged packets ?

DPDK version : 18.11.6
ESXi : 7.0
NICs : Mellanox Cx-4

Just to summarize :

  1.  VLAN filter add through DPDK works fine with KVM hypervisor.
  2.  VLAN filter add through DPDK on VmWare does not work.
  3.  VLAN add through linux netdev works fine on VmWare
  4.  VLAN once added on the linux netdev, even after eboot the same VLAN added through dpdk works fine on VmWare. Any new VLAN added through dpdk does not work.

Souvik

Notice: This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of Ribbon Communications Inc. and its Affiliates that is confidential and/or proprietary for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, disclosure, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.