From: "De Lara Guarch, Pablo" <pablo.de.lara.guarch@intel.com>
To: "Richardson, Bruce" <bruce.richardson@intel.com>,
	Matthew Hall <mhall@mhcomputing.net>,
	"dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Defaults for rte_hash
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 11:42:40 +0000	[thread overview]

That 4 is not shifted, so it is actually 4 entries/bucket. Actually, the maximum number of entries you can use is 16, as bucket will be as big as a cache line.
However, regardless the number of entries, memory size will remain the same, but using 4 entries/bucket, with 16-byte key, all keys stored for a bucket will fit in a cache line,
so performance looks to be better in this case (although a non-optimal hash function could lead not to be able to store all keys, as chances to fill a bucket are higher).
Anyway, for this example, 4 entries/bucket looks a good number to me.