* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 28/05/2020
@ 2020-05-28 15:55 Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2020-05-28 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpdk-dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon

  * https://core.dpdk.org/download/
  * https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/rel_notes/release_20_05.html

  Thanks everyone who contributed.

* v20.08 dates:
  * Proposal/V1:		Friday, 12 June 2020
  * -rc1:			Wednesday, 8 July 2020
  * -rc2:			Monday, 20 July 2020
  * Release:			Tuesday, 4 August 2020

  * Red Hat & Mellanox already sent roadmap, all contributors please send
    roadmap for the release.

Zoom vs Skype
-------------

* Linux foundation is providing zoom accounts and should we switch the meetings
to the Zoom, as done in the regular CI meetings?

  * It seems Skype is not performing well on Linux

  * There can be some limitations using Zoom for some companies

  * jitsi can be an alternative

  * We will give it a try, @John & @Thomas will handle the details and will
    communicate the change

    * In next a few meetings we will keep the Skype open to prevent confusions

20.05 retrospective
-------------------

* We should do regular, weekly, merges from sub-trees.

* Latest gcc support

  * We should have CI support to test latest compiler versions early.

  * Travis ovsbuild has these tests, but we need script to report result
    to patchwork.

* Getting patch late in the release is increasing the risk, what can be done?

* Should we be more strict on the dates, to prevent perception that future
  dates will shift?

* Doc maintainership, this requires some unique skills and @John is doing good
  job but we need additional maintainers to help him.

LTS
---

  * v19.11.3-rc1 will be out next week, need to synchronize the validation
    effort for it

  * v18.11.9-rc1 will have similar schedule

DPDK Release Status Meetings
============================

The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to discuss
the status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project managers to
track progress or milestone dates.

The meeting occurs on Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. If you wish to attend just
send an email to "John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>" for the invite.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 28/05/2020
@ 2020-05-28 16:19 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-05-28 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

On Thu, 28 May 2020 16:55:55 +0100
Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com> wrote:

> Minutes 28 May 2020
> -------------------
>
> Agenda:
> * Release Dates
> * Zoom vs Skype
> * 20.05 retrospective
> * LTS
>
> Participants:
> * Arm
> * Debian/Microsoft
> * Intel
> * Mellanox
> * NXP
> * Red Hat
>

> Release Dates
> -------------
>
> * v20.05 is released on Tuesday 26 May
>   * https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2020-May/168769.html
>   * https://core.dpdk.org/download/
>   * https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/rel_notes/release_20_05.html
>
>   Thanks everyone who contributed.
>
> * v20.08 dates:
>   * Proposal/V1:		Friday, 12 June 2020
>   * -rc1:			Wednesday, 8 July 2020
>   * -rc2:			Monday, 20 July 2020
>   * Release:			Tuesday, 4 August 2020
>
>   * Red Hat & Mellanox already sent roadmap, all contributors please send
>     roadmap for the release.
>

> Zoom vs Skype
> -------------
>
> * Linux foundation is providing zoom accounts and should we switch the meetings
> to the Zoom, as done in the regular CI meetings?
>
>   * It seems Skype is not performing well on Linux
>
>   * There can be some limitations using Zoom for some companies
>
>   * jitsi can be an alternative
>
>   * We will give it a try, @John & @Thomas will handle the details and will
>     communicate the change
>
>     * In next a few meetings we will keep the Skype open to prevent confusions

Teams on Linux works quite well. Skype is being phased on legacy

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 28/05/2020
@ 2020-05-28 17:54   ` Akhil Goyal
From: Akhil Goyal @ 2020-05-28 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, dev

> > Zoom vs Skype
> > -------------
> >
> > * Linux foundation is providing zoom accounts and should we switch the
> meetings
> > to the Zoom, as done in the regular CI meetings?
> >
> >   * It seems Skype is not performing well on Linux
> >
> >   * There can be some limitations using Zoom for some companies
> >
> >   * jitsi can be an alternative
> >
> >   * We will give it a try, @John & @Thomas will handle the details and will
> >     communicate the change
> >
> >     * In next a few meetings we will keep the Skype open to prevent confusions
> >

> Teams on Linux works quite well. Skype is being phased on legacy

+1 for Teams. One option can be Webex if Teams in not appropriate.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 28/05/2020
@ 2020-06-02 11:39 ` Iremonger, Bernard
From: Iremonger, Bernard @ 2020-06-02 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yigit, Ferruh, dpdk-dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon

Hi Ferruh,

Is the merge deadline Friday, 3 July?

>   * -rc1:			Wednesday, 8 July 2020
>   * -rc2:			Monday, 20 July 2020
>   * Release:			Tuesday, 4 August 2020
>
>   * Red Hat & Mellanox already sent roadmap, all contributors please send
>     roadmap for the release.
>

> Zoom vs Skype
> -------------
>
> * Linux foundation is providing zoom accounts and should we switch the
> meetings to the Zoom, as done in the regular CI meetings?
>
>   * It seems Skype is not performing well on Linux
>
>   * There can be some limitations using Zoom for some companies
>
>   * jitsi can be an alternative
>
>   * We will give it a try, @John & @Thomas will handle the details and will
>     communicate the change
>
>     * In next a few meetings we will keep the Skype open to prevent
> confusions
>

> 20.05 retrospective
> -------------------
>
> * We should do regular, weekly, merges from sub-trees.
>
> * Latest gcc support
>
>   * We should have CI support to test latest compiler versions early.
>
>   * Travis ovsbuild has these tests, but we need script to report result
>     to patchwork.
>
> * Getting patch late in the release is increasing the risk, what can be done?
>
> * Should we be more strict on the dates, to prevent perception that future
>   dates will shift?
>
> * Doc maintainership, this requires some unique skills and @John is doing
> good
>   job but we need additional maintainers to help him.
>

> LTS
> ---
>
>   * v19.11.3-rc1 will be out next week, need to synchronize the validation
>     effort for it
>
>   * v18.11.9-rc1 will have similar schedule
>

> DPDK Release Status Meetings
> ============================
>
> The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to
> discuss the status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project
> managers to track progress or milestone dates.
>
> The meeting occurs on Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. If you wish to attend just send
> an email to "John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>" for the invite.

Regards,

Bernard.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 28/05/2020
@ 2020-06-02 14:23   ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2020-06-02 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iremonger, Bernard, dpdk-dev, Thomas Monjalon

On 6/2/2020 12:39 PM, Iremonger, Bernard wrote:
> Hi Ferruh,

Hi Bernard,

I personally find having the distinction for "merge deadline" and '-rc1" is
confusing. I prefer to follow only -rc1.

The thing to consider is, if -rc1 is 8 July, and you are sending a new version
of the patch on that day, 8 July, I think it is not surprising if the patch
misses the -rc1.
So patch should be at least a few days before the -rc1, to give enough time for
it to be processed. Should we formalize that a few days as "merge deadline" and
explicitly call that day, as said above I don't think so but I don't know what
others think about it.

Roughly, please send your last version of the patch at least 2 work days before
the -rc1. @Thomas, what do you think, is it a fair measurement?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 28/05/2020
@ 2020-06-02 14:35     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-06-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iremonger, Bernard, Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: dpdk-dev

02/06/2020 16:23, Ferruh Yigit:
> On 6/2/2020 12:39 PM, Iremonger, Bernard wrote:
> > From: Ferruh Yigit
> >> * v20.08 dates:
> >>   * Proposal/V1:Friday, 12 June 2020
> >
> > Is the merge deadline Friday, 3 July?
> >
> >>   * -rc1:Wednesday, 8 July 2020
>
> Hi Bernard,
>
> I personally find having the distinction for "merge deadline" and '-rc1" is
> confusing. I prefer to follow only -rc1.
>
> The thing to consider is, if -rc1 is 8 July, and you are sending a new version
> of the patch on that day, 8 July, I think it is not surprising if the patch
> misses the -rc1.
> So patch should be at least a few days before the -rc1, to give enough time for
> it to be processed. Should we formalize that a few days as "merge deadline" and
> explicitly call that day, as said above I don't think so but I don't know what
> others think about it.
>
> Roughly, please send your last version of the patch at least 2 work days before
> the -rc1. @Thomas, what do you think, is it a fair measurement?

I won't directly reply about the numbers and commitment.
Yes we need to be strict on dates.
But about when is the last time to have something merged,
I would say it depends and it is based on best effort.
The sooner is the better :-)