* FreeBSD 13.1 changes
@ 2022-05-29 11:36 Lewis Donzis
From: Lewis Donzis @ 2022-05-29 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Apparently FreeBSD 13.1 changed the syntax of the CPUSET macros, so DPDK no longer compiles.

For example, here's one definition on FreeBSD 13.0 and prior:

   CPU_OR(cpuset_t *dst, cpuset_t *src);

and here it is in FreeBSD 13.1:

   CPU_OR(cpuset_t *dst, cpuset_t *src1, cpuset_t *src2);

I've modified lib/eal/freebsd/include/rte_os.h to handle both old and new versions of FreeBSD.

I'd like to provide the updated file, if someone would be willing to review and commit, please?

Thanks,
lew

* Re: FreeBSD 13.1 changes
@ 2022-05-30  8:09 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2022-05-30  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewis Donzis; +Cc: dev

On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 06:36:21AM -0500, Lewis Donzis wrote:
> Apparently FreeBSD 13.1 changed the syntax of the CPUSET macros, so DPDK no longer compiles.
>
> For example, here's one definition on FreeBSD 13.0 and prior:
>
>    CPU_OR(cpuset_t *dst, cpuset_t *src);
>
> and here it is in FreeBSD 13.1:
>
>    CPU_OR(cpuset_t *dst, cpuset_t *src1, cpuset_t *src2);
>
> I've modified lib/eal/freebsd/include/rte_os.h to handle both old and new versions of FreeBSD.
>
> I'd like to provide the updated file, if someone would be willing to review and commit, please?

Can you please retest with the latest DPDK code in git. This should be
fixed there now. See patch [1]. The fix should make its way into the LTS
backports over time too.

/Bruce

[1] http://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20220520181050.55654-1-bruce.richardson@intel.com/

* Re: FreeBSD 13.1 changes
@ 2022-05-30 12:50   ` Lewis Donzis
From: Lewis Donzis @ 2022-05-30 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

----- On May 30, 2022, at 3:09 AM, Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson@intel.com wrote:

> On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 06:36:21AM -0500, Lewis Donzis wrote:
>> Apparently FreeBSD 13.1 changed the syntax of the CPUSET macros, so DPDK no
>> longer compiles.
>>
>> For example, here's one definition on FreeBSD 13.0 and prior:
>>
>>    CPU_OR(cpuset_t *dst, cpuset_t *src);
>>
>> and here it is in FreeBSD 13.1:
>>
>>    CPU_OR(cpuset_t *dst, cpuset_t *src1, cpuset_t *src2);
>>
>> I've modified lib/eal/freebsd/include/rte_os.h to handle both old and new
>> versions of FreeBSD.
>>
>> I'd like to provide the updated file, if someone would be willing to review and
>> commit, please?
>>
> Can you please retest with the latest DPDK code in git. This should be
> fixed there now. See patch [1]. The fix should make its way into the LTS
> backports over time too.
>
> /Bruce
>
> [1]
> http://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20220520181050.55654-1-bruce.richardson@intel.com/

Yes, it definitely compiles now, thank you!

Something is still not working properly, I think in the ixl driver.  But I tried the same test on FreeBSD 13.0 and it also doesn't work, so I don't think that's related to this change.  The problem appears to be related to forcing "wait" true on FreeBSD in ixgbe_dev_link_update_share().  Should I post that as a separate thread?

* Re: FreeBSD 13.1 changes
@ 2022-05-30 13:15     ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2022-05-30 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewis Donzis; +Cc: dev

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 07:50:19AM -0500, Lewis Donzis wrote:

> ----- On May 30, 2022, at 3:09 AM, Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson@intel.com wrote:
>
> > On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 06:36:21AM -0500, Lewis Donzis wrote:
> >> Apparently FreeBSD 13.1 changed the syntax of the CPUSET macros, so DPDK no
> >> longer compiles.
> >>
> >> For example, here's one definition on FreeBSD 13.0 and prior:
> >>
> >>    CPU_OR(cpuset_t *dst, cpuset_t *src);
> >>
> >> and here it is in FreeBSD 13.1:
> >>
> >>    CPU_OR(cpuset_t *dst, cpuset_t *src1, cpuset_t *src2);
> >>
> >> I've modified lib/eal/freebsd/include/rte_os.h to handle both old and new
> >> versions of FreeBSD.
> >>
> >> I'd like to provide the updated file, if someone would be willing to review and
> >> commit, please?
> >>
> > Can you please retest with the latest DPDK code in git. This should be
> > fixed there now. See patch [1]. The fix should make its way into the LTS
> > backports over time too.
> >
> > /Bruce
> >
> > [1]
> > http://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20220520181050.55654-1-bruce.richardson@intel.com/
>
> Yes, it definitely compiles now, thank you!
>
> Something is still not working properly, I think in the ixl driver.  But I tried the same test on FreeBSD 13.0 and it also doesn't work, so I don't think that's related to this change.  The problem appears to be related to forcing "wait" true on FreeBSD in ixgbe_dev_link_update_share().  Should I post that as a separate thread?

Yes, please do, and CC the relevant driver maintainers. You can use
get-maintainer.sh to find out who they are, as below:

	./devtools/get-maintainer.sh drivers/net/ixgbe/ixgbe_ethdev.c
	Qiming Yang <qiming.yang@intel.com>
	Wenjun Wu <wenjun1.wu@intel.com>
	Anatoly Burakov <anatoly.burakov@intel.com>

/Bruce