* Threads using mempools
@ 2023-08-01 10:21 Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2023-08-01 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi folks,

Is there a way in DPDK to create a POSIX thread in the driver/app and hook it up to an existing mempool by creating a mempool cache on the fly for this thread?

The regular RTE lcores and service cores seem to be the only threads that have access to mempools, is my observation correct? This would prevent (on purpose?) the drivers/apps to create threads that can be directly involved in processing packets.

Thanks,
Cristian

* Re: Threads using mempools
@ 2023-08-01 10:37 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2023-08-01 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dumitrescu, Cristian; +Cc: dev

On Tue, Aug 01, 2023 at 10:21:16AM +0000, Dumitrescu, Cristian wrote:
>    Hi folks,
>

>    Is there a way in DPDK to create a POSIX thread in the driver/app and
>    hook it up to an existing mempool by creating a mempool cache on the
>    fly for this thread?
>

>    The regular RTE lcores and service cores seem to be the only threads
>    that have access to mempools, is my observation correct? This would
>    prevent (on purpose?) the drivers/apps to create threads that can be
>    directly involved in processing packets.

"rte_thread_register" is the API you are looking for, I think. It assigns
an lcore_id to a non-DPDK thread so it can access mempools etc.

/Bruce