DPDK patches and discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Re: [dpdk-dev] DEV Ask For Help about patch sumbit
       [not found] <008401d71c6f$c39e7b90$4adb72b0$@mucse.com>
@ 2021-03-22 10:25 ` Ferruh Yigit
  2021-03-24  2:39   ` caowenbo
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 2+ messages in thread
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2021-03-22 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caowenbo; +Cc: dev, Andrew Rybchenko, David Marchand, Thomas Monjalon

On 3/19/2021 3:27 AM, caowenbo@mucse.com wrote:
> Hi Ferruh
> 
> I’am a developer of MuChuang IIC. Welcome to reach us on website 
> http://www.mucse.com.//
> 
> Now we want to support our 10/40 Ethernet Nic and then continue the development 
> and maintenance in community.
> 
> But I don’t know  the first thingthat I need to do for the submit patch.
> 
> Can you give me some advice? 😊
> 
> ,
> 
> And I read the mail list ,that you had mentioned the below things.
> 
> Last as few upstreamed PMDs as example:
> 
> ionic:
> 
> https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=8206&state=%2A&archive=both 
> <https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=8206&state=%2A&archive=both>
> 
> pfe:
> 
> https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=6777&state=%2A&archive=both 
> <https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=6777&state=%2A&archive=both>
> 
> octeontx2 (one of the good samples I suggest checking):
> 
> https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=5302&state=%2A&archive=both 
> <https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=5302&state=%2A&archive=both>
> 
> If I just follow this step by step
> 
> is that the right way?
> 
> Is there anything else I need to do ?
> 
> Hope your kindness back.:)
> 
> Regards Wenbo
> 

Hi Wenbo,

It is good to hear that you decide to upstream your driver, welcome to the 
community.

Overall I suggest reading following documentation:
- Contributing Code to DPDK
   https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/contributing/patches.html

- DPDK Coding Style
   https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/contributing/coding_style.html


Splitting the driver into more logical and easy consumable patches can help all, 
as samples given in above drivers.

And please try to upstream regularly and in small chunks, instead of 
accumulating many changes and sending them in one go as a big patch.

There are multiple automated tests are running on the sent patches, please check 
status of your patches after you send them, and if some warnings/errors detected 
you can send an updated version until all issues fixed.

It is possible to manage your patches from patchwork, update their status as new 
patches arrived etc..
https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/
Please be sure you are registered to mail list and patchwork.

And please be sure you have adequate documentation with your driver, including 
the product links etc..

These are all I can think of as of now, cc'ed a few more folks for the things I 
missed, welcome again :)

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DEV Ask For Help about patch sumbit
  2021-03-22 10:25 ` [dpdk-dev] DEV Ask For Help about patch sumbit Ferruh Yigit
@ 2021-03-24  2:39   ` caowenbo
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 2+ messages in thread
From: caowenbo @ 2021-03-24  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: dev, Andrew Rybchenko, David Marchand, Thomas Monjalon

Hi Ferruh

Thanks for you kindly respond, it's mush helpful.
I will follow the document to do the next.
😊

Regards wenbo.
-----Original Message-----
From: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com> 
Sent: 2021年3月22日 18:26
To: caowenbo@mucse.com
Cc: dev@dpdk.org; Andrew Rybchenko <andrew.rybchenko@oktetlabs.ru>; David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com>; Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
Subject: Re: DEV Ask For Help about patch sumbit

On 3/19/2021 3:27 AM, caowenbo@mucse.com wrote:
> Hi Ferruh
> 
> I’am a developer of MuChuang IIC. Welcome to reach us on website 
> http://www.mucse.com.//
> 
> Now we want to support our 10/40 Ethernet Nic and then continue the 
> development and maintenance in community.
> 
> But I don’t know  the first thingthat I need to do for the submit patch.
> 
> Can you give me some advice? 😊
> 
> ,
> 
> And I read the mail list ,that you had mentioned the below things.
> 
> Last as few upstreamed PMDs as example:
> 
> ionic:
> 
> https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=8206&state=%2A&arch
> ive=both 
> <https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=8206&state=%2A&arc
> hive=both>
> 
> pfe:
> 
> https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=6777&state=%2A&arch
> ive=both 
> <https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=6777&state=%2A&arc
> hive=both>
> 
> octeontx2 (one of the good samples I suggest checking):
> 
> https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=5302&state=%2A&arch
> ive=both 
> <https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=5302&state=%2A&arc
> hive=both>
> 
> If I just follow this step by step
> 
> is that the right way?
> 
> Is there anything else I need to do ?
> 
> Hope your kindness back.:)
> 
> Regards Wenbo
> 

Hi Wenbo,

It is good to hear that you decide to upstream your driver, welcome to the community.

Overall I suggest reading following documentation:
- Contributing Code to DPDK
   https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/contributing/patches.html

- DPDK Coding Style
   https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/contributing/coding_style.html


Splitting the driver into more logical and easy consumable patches can help all, as samples given in above drivers.

And please try to upstream regularly and in small chunks, instead of accumulating many changes and sending them in one go as a big patch.

There are multiple automated tests are running on the sent patches, please check status of your patches after you send them, and if some warnings/errors detected you can send an updated version until all issues fixed.

It is possible to manage your patches from patchwork, update their status as new patches arrived etc..
https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/
Please be sure you are registered to mail list and patchwork.

And please be sure you have adequate documentation with your driver, including the product links etc..

These are all I can think of as of now, cc'ed a few more folks for the things I missed, welcome again :)





^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-03-24  2:40 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 2+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <008401d71c6f$c39e7b90$4adb72b0$@mucse.com>
2021-03-22 10:25 ` [dpdk-dev] DEV Ask For Help about patch sumbit Ferruh Yigit
2021-03-24  2:39   ` caowenbo

DPDK patches and discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/0 dev/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 dev dev/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev \
		dev@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index dev

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.dev


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git