From: "Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com>
To: msantana@redhat.com, dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Hugepages not being deleted
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 10:32:44 +0100	[thread overview]

On 23-Apr-19 4:15 PM, Michael Santana Francisco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a patch to fix the eal_flags_autotest test as
> it currently fails on many platforms.
> I have made some progress, however I stumbled upon a possible issue with
> EAL and hugepages.
> Looking at the code and some documentation it appears to me that
> hupepages are supposed to be automatically deleted on dynamic memory
> mode as the dpdk process exits.
> The test however reports that this is not happening.

Apologies, this email has slipped through the cracks.

Hugepages not being deleted can happen in certain circumstances (such as
drivers allocating things and not freeing them later), and there's
little DPDK EAL can do to fix it - if the memory is used, it's not safe
to just pull it out from under whoever is using it.

The best you can do is find what is allocating that memory, and fix the
problem at the source.

> This can be shown by:
>
> bash# export DPDK_TEST=eal_flags_autotest
> bash# ./build/app/test/dpdk-test
> Error - hugepage files for memtest1 were not deleted!
> Error in test_file_prefix()
> Test Failed
> bash# ls /dev/hugepages/ #hugetlbfs is mounted on /dev/hugepages
> memtest1map_0  memtest1map_1  memtest1map_2  memtest1map_3
> memtest1map_4  memtest1map_5  memtest1map_6  memtest1map_7
> memtest1map_8  rtemap_0
>
> To me it appears that the hugepages are in fact not being deleted
> correctly.
> Is this an anomaly or is anyone else seeing this issue as well?
>
> Michael Santana
>

> Note, if you are running on a system with less than 8 cores please see
> patch
> https://github.com/Maickii/dpdk-2/commit/7cfad856611e3ded4050f670ec11d1b2e17851d8.patch

Anatoly