DPDK patches and discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>
To: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Cc: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
Subject: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 21/01/2021
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 12:04:00 +0000
Message-ID: <ce667c92-341e-9b7f-63fe-1c00c69151c5@intel.com> (raw)

Meeting minutes of 21 January 2021
----------------------------------

Agenda:
* Release Dates
* Highlights
* -rc1 status
* Subtrees
* LTS
* Opens

Participants:
* Arm
* Broadcom
* Debian/Microsoft
* Intel
* Nvidia
* NXP
* Red Hat


Release Dates
-------------

* v21.02 dates
   * -rc1 is released on Tuesday, 19 January 2021
     * http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/4846307.Pfn0FrbqUJ@thomas/
   * -rc2                Friday, 29 January 2021
   * -rc3                Friday, 5 February 2021
   * Release pushed to   *Wednesday, 17 February 2021*

   * Release date may conflict with Chinese New Year, we need to discuss and
     define the release date offline in the mail list, please comment.


Highlights
----------

* Need to finalize the 21.02 release date on the mail list.

* pmdinfogen will be switched to python implementation, CI / testing
   infrastructures should prepare themselves for the 'pyelftools' dependency.
   The patchset to verify the infrastructure in advance:
   * https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=13153


-rc1 status
-----------

* No testing result received yet.

* Two build errors detected, virtio for Arm and mingw cross build.


Subtrees
--------

* main
   * There are built errors with -rc1
     * Arm virtio build error, asked for help
     * Mingw cross builds, with older versions of compiler
   * Build related updates can continue for -rc2
     * Applied changes were mostly for Arm
     * New build options can be added
   * pmdinfogen python rewrite not merged for -rc1, but planned for -rc2
     * This may break the CI / test infrastructures because of 'pyelftools'
       dependency
       * This has been called out many times, will merge at this point
   * Intel power management series
     * Partially merged, ethdev & eal part merged, power library part is
       remaining
       * power library get a new version
         * Thomas has concern about the power library design, it looks like
           designed for a specific case and not generic
           * Currently there is not better suggestion, will proceed if no
             there is no objection
   * Header check patchset merged partially
   * ABI checks, some exceptions added
     * Exceptions should be reviewed carefully
     * We lost Travis automated ABI checks
       * There is github actions checks but it is not sending reports back to
         patchwork
         * There is a work going on for reporting
       * Authors either check ABI themselves or explicitly check the github
         actions test results for it
         * Can check automated test from:
           https://github.com/ovsrobot/dpdk/actions
   * Is ring library refactoring work stalled? Arm will check.
     * https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=14405

* next-net
   * Following ehtdev patches not able to make the -rc1 and postponed to next
     release:
     * ethdev: introduce representor type
       * last version sent late for -rc1
     * add apistats function
       * Not clear if this is right approach, more comments required
     * Also there are some ethdev patches from previous releases, they need to be
       cleaned up, most probably will be done in next release.
   * For -rc2, there are
     * octeon_tx endpoint driver
     * ionic set
     * various driver and testpmd fixes
     * patchsets that first version sent after -rc1 will get less priority

* next-crypto
   * There is new compressdev PMD for the -rc2
   * Also an ABI break discussion is going on

* next-eventdev
   * no update

* next-virtio
   * The big refactor set work is going on
     * Plan is to merge it for -rc2 if it is ready
   * Intel vhost example review is going on, planned for -rc2
   * There are some concerns on Alibaba's PIO mapping patch
     * Not able to test but there is potential issues
   * Struct packing series has less priority against the refactoring sets,
     and can wait the refactoring sets to be merged first.

* next-net-mlx
   * -rc1 looks OK
   * A couple of patches already merged for the -rc2
   * A few more is expected

* next-net-brcm
   * A few fixes in the backlog

* next-net-intel
   * Progressing

* next-net-mrvl
   * mvpp2 is expected for the -rc2


LTS
---

* v18.11.11 is released
   * http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/20210120155818.388598-1-ktraynor@redhat.com
   * This is the last release of the 18.11 LTS, thanks to all contributors

* v19.11.7
   * Luca will start working on patches

* v20.11.x
   * Kevin will step down from the 20.11 LTS maintainership, volunteers are
     welcome.


Opens
-----

* Coverity scans are automated but not able to assign defects

* Milestone doc is still pending
   * https://patches.dpdk.org/patch/86455/



DPDK Release Status Meetings
============================

The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to discuss the
status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project managers to track
progress or milestone dates.

The meeting occurs on every Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. on https://meet.jit.si/DPDK

If you wish to attend just send an email to
"John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>" for the invite.

             reply	other threads:[~2021-01-21 12:04 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2021-01-21 12:04 Ferruh Yigit [this message]
2021-01-22  6:38 ` Ruifeng Wang
2021-01-22 12:11   ` Ananyev, Konstantin
2021-01-26  9:04 ` Ferruh Yigit

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=ce667c92-341e-9b7f-63fe-1c00c69151c5@intel.com \
    --to=ferruh.yigit@intel.com \
    --cc=dev@dpdk.org \
    --cc=thomas@monjalon.net \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

DPDK patches and discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/0 dev/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 dev dev/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev \
		dev@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index dev

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.dev


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git