DPDK patches and discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 21/01/2021
@ 2021-01-21 12:04 Ferruh Yigit
  2021-01-22  6:38 ` Ruifeng Wang
  2021-01-26  9:04 ` Ferruh Yigit
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2021-01-21 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon

Meeting minutes of 21 January 2021
----------------------------------

Agenda:
* Release Dates
* Highlights
* -rc1 status
* Subtrees
* LTS
* Opens

Participants:
* Arm
* Broadcom
* Debian/Microsoft
* Intel
* Nvidia
* NXP
* Red Hat


Release Dates
-------------

* v21.02 dates
   * -rc1 is released on Tuesday, 19 January 2021
     * http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/4846307.Pfn0FrbqUJ@thomas/
   * -rc2                Friday, 29 January 2021
   * -rc3                Friday, 5 February 2021
   * Release pushed to   *Wednesday, 17 February 2021*

   * Release date may conflict with Chinese New Year, we need to discuss and
     define the release date offline in the mail list, please comment.


Highlights
----------

* Need to finalize the 21.02 release date on the mail list.

* pmdinfogen will be switched to python implementation, CI / testing
   infrastructures should prepare themselves for the 'pyelftools' dependency.
   The patchset to verify the infrastructure in advance:
   * https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=13153


-rc1 status
-----------

* No testing result received yet.

* Two build errors detected, virtio for Arm and mingw cross build.


Subtrees
--------

* main
   * There are built errors with -rc1
     * Arm virtio build error, asked for help
     * Mingw cross builds, with older versions of compiler
   * Build related updates can continue for -rc2
     * Applied changes were mostly for Arm
     * New build options can be added
   * pmdinfogen python rewrite not merged for -rc1, but planned for -rc2
     * This may break the CI / test infrastructures because of 'pyelftools'
       dependency
       * This has been called out many times, will merge at this point
   * Intel power management series
     * Partially merged, ethdev & eal part merged, power library part is
       remaining
       * power library get a new version
         * Thomas has concern about the power library design, it looks like
           designed for a specific case and not generic
           * Currently there is not better suggestion, will proceed if no
             there is no objection
   * Header check patchset merged partially
   * ABI checks, some exceptions added
     * Exceptions should be reviewed carefully
     * We lost Travis automated ABI checks
       * There is github actions checks but it is not sending reports back to
         patchwork
         * There is a work going on for reporting
       * Authors either check ABI themselves or explicitly check the github
         actions test results for it
         * Can check automated test from:
           https://github.com/ovsrobot/dpdk/actions
   * Is ring library refactoring work stalled? Arm will check.
     * https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=14405

* next-net
   * Following ehtdev patches not able to make the -rc1 and postponed to next
     release:
     * ethdev: introduce representor type
       * last version sent late for -rc1
     * add apistats function
       * Not clear if this is right approach, more comments required
     * Also there are some ethdev patches from previous releases, they need to be
       cleaned up, most probably will be done in next release.
   * For -rc2, there are
     * octeon_tx endpoint driver
     * ionic set
     * various driver and testpmd fixes
     * patchsets that first version sent after -rc1 will get less priority

* next-crypto
   * There is new compressdev PMD for the -rc2
   * Also an ABI break discussion is going on

* next-eventdev
   * no update

* next-virtio
   * The big refactor set work is going on
     * Plan is to merge it for -rc2 if it is ready
   * Intel vhost example review is going on, planned for -rc2
   * There are some concerns on Alibaba's PIO mapping patch
     * Not able to test but there is potential issues
   * Struct packing series has less priority against the refactoring sets,
     and can wait the refactoring sets to be merged first.

* next-net-mlx
   * -rc1 looks OK
   * A couple of patches already merged for the -rc2
   * A few more is expected

* next-net-brcm
   * A few fixes in the backlog

* next-net-intel
   * Progressing

* next-net-mrvl
   * mvpp2 is expected for the -rc2


LTS
---

* v18.11.11 is released
   * http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/20210120155818.388598-1-ktraynor@redhat.com
   * This is the last release of the 18.11 LTS, thanks to all contributors

* v19.11.7
   * Luca will start working on patches

* v20.11.x
   * Kevin will step down from the 20.11 LTS maintainership, volunteers are
     welcome.


Opens
-----

* Coverity scans are automated but not able to assign defects

* Milestone doc is still pending
   * https://patches.dpdk.org/patch/86455/



DPDK Release Status Meetings
============================

The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to discuss the
status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project managers to track
progress or milestone dates.

The meeting occurs on every Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. on https://meet.jit.si/DPDK

If you wish to attend just send an email to
"John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>" for the invite.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 21/01/2021
  2021-01-21 12:04 [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 21/01/2021 Ferruh Yigit
@ 2021-01-22  6:38 ` Ruifeng Wang
  2021-01-22 12:11   ` Ananyev, Konstantin
  2021-01-26  9:04 ` Ferruh Yigit
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ruifeng Wang @ 2021-01-22  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, David Marchand
  Cc: thomas, Ferruh Yigit, Honnappa Nagarahalli, Konstantin Ananyev, nd, nd


> -----Original Message-----
> From: dev <dev-bounces@dpdk.org> On Behalf Of Ferruh Yigit
> Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 8:04 PM
> To: dev@dpdk.org
> Cc: thomas@monjalon.net
> Subject: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 21/01/2021
> 
> Meeting minutes of 21 January 2021
> ----------------------------------
> 
> Agenda:
> * Release Dates
> * Highlights
> * -rc1 status
> * Subtrees
> * LTS
> * Opens
> 
> Participants:
> * Arm
> * Broadcom
> * Debian/Microsoft
> * Intel
> * Nvidia
> * NXP
> * Red Hat
> 
> 
> Release Dates
> -------------
> 
> * v21.02 dates
>    * -rc1 is released on Tuesday, 19 January 2021
>      * http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/4846307.Pfn0FrbqUJ@thomas/
>    * -rc2                Friday, 29 January 2021
>    * -rc3                Friday, 5 February 2021
>    * Release pushed to   *Wednesday, 17 February 2021*
> 
>    * Release date may conflict with Chinese New Year, we need to discuss and
>      define the release date offline in the mail list, please comment.
> 
> 
> Highlights
> ----------
> 
> * Need to finalize the 21.02 release date on the mail list.
> 
> * pmdinfogen will be switched to python implementation, CI / testing
>    infrastructures should prepare themselves for the 'pyelftools' dependency.
>    The patchset to verify the infrastructure in advance:
>    * https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=13153
> 
> 
> -rc1 status
> -----------
> 
> * No testing result received yet.
> 
> * Two build errors detected, virtio for Arm and mingw cross build.
> 
> 
> Subtrees
> --------
> 
> * main
>    * There are built errors with -rc1
>      * Arm virtio build error, asked for help
>      * Mingw cross builds, with older versions of compiler
>    * Build related updates can continue for -rc2
>      * Applied changes were mostly for Arm
>      * New build options can be added
>    * pmdinfogen python rewrite not merged for -rc1, but planned for -rc2
>      * This may break the CI / test infrastructures because of 'pyelftools'
>        dependency
>        * This has been called out many times, will merge at this point
>    * Intel power management series
>      * Partially merged, ethdev & eal part merged, power library part is
>        remaining
>        * power library get a new version
>          * Thomas has concern about the power library design, it looks like
>            designed for a specific case and not generic
>            * Currently there is not better suggestion, will proceed if no
>              there is no objection
>    * Header check patchset merged partially
>    * ABI checks, some exceptions added
>      * Exceptions should be reviewed carefully
>      * We lost Travis automated ABI checks
>        * There is github actions checks but it is not sending reports back to
>          patchwork
>          * There is a work going on for reporting
>        * Authors either check ABI themselves or explicitly check the github
>          actions test results for it
>          * Can check automated test from:
>            https://github.com/ovsrobot/dpdk/actions
>    * Is ring library refactoring work stalled? Arm will check.
>      * https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=14405

IMO, this series is in good shape.
There is no comments from community on this series. 
But this work is based on discussion between ring library maintainers (Honnappa, Konstantin):
https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2020-May/166803.html
Honnappa has already reviewed this series. It will be good if Konstantin can also review and add a tag.
So I think this series can be queued for merge.

PS: The ring test comment mentioned in the meeting is about another patch series:
http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/85641/

> 
> * next-net
>    * Following ehtdev patches not able to make the -rc1 and postponed to
> next
>      release:
>      * ethdev: introduce representor type
>        * last version sent late for -rc1
>      * add apistats function
>        * Not clear if this is right approach, more comments required
>      * Also there are some ethdev patches from previous releases, they need
> to be
>        cleaned up, most probably will be done in next release.
>    * For -rc2, there are
>      * octeon_tx endpoint driver
>      * ionic set
>      * various driver and testpmd fixes
>      * patchsets that first version sent after -rc1 will get less priority
> 
> * next-crypto
>    * There is new compressdev PMD for the -rc2
>    * Also an ABI break discussion is going on
> 
> * next-eventdev
>    * no update
> 
> * next-virtio
>    * The big refactor set work is going on
>      * Plan is to merge it for -rc2 if it is ready
>    * Intel vhost example review is going on, planned for -rc2
>    * There are some concerns on Alibaba's PIO mapping patch
>      * Not able to test but there is potential issues
>    * Struct packing series has less priority against the refactoring sets,
>      and can wait the refactoring sets to be merged first.
> 
> * next-net-mlx
>    * -rc1 looks OK
>    * A couple of patches already merged for the -rc2
>    * A few more is expected
> 
> * next-net-brcm
>    * A few fixes in the backlog
> 
> * next-net-intel
>    * Progressing
> 
> * next-net-mrvl
>    * mvpp2 is expected for the -rc2
> 
> 
> LTS
> ---
> 
> * v18.11.11 is released
>    * http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/20210120155818.388598-1-
> ktraynor@redhat.com
>    * This is the last release of the 18.11 LTS, thanks to all contributors
> 
> * v19.11.7
>    * Luca will start working on patches
> 
> * v20.11.x
>    * Kevin will step down from the 20.11 LTS maintainership, volunteers are
>      welcome.
> 
> 
> Opens
> -----
> 
> * Coverity scans are automated but not able to assign defects
> 
> * Milestone doc is still pending
>    * https://patches.dpdk.org/patch/86455/
> 
> 
> 
> DPDK Release Status Meetings
> ============================
> 
> The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to
> discuss the status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project
> managers to track progress or milestone dates.
> 
> The meeting occurs on every Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. on
> https://meet.jit.si/DPDK
> 
> If you wish to attend just send an email to "John McNamara
> <john.mcnamara@intel.com>" for the invite.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 21/01/2021
  2021-01-22  6:38 ` Ruifeng Wang
@ 2021-01-22 12:11   ` Ananyev, Konstantin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ananyev, Konstantin @ 2021-01-22 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruifeng Wang, dev, David Marchand
  Cc: thomas, Yigit, Ferruh, Honnappa Nagarahalli, nd, nd


> >    * Is ring library refactoring work stalled? Arm will check.
> >      * https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=14405
> 
> IMO, this series is in good shape.
> There is no comments from community on this series.
> But this work is based on discussion between ring library maintainers (Honnappa, Konstantin):
> https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2020-May/166803.html
> Honnappa has already reviewed this series. It will be good if Konstantin can also review and add a tag.

Sorry, missed it somehow.
Will have a look later today.

> So I think this series can be queued for merge.
> 
> PS: The ring test comment mentioned in the meeting is about another patch series:
> http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/85641/
> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 21/01/2021
  2021-01-21 12:04 [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 21/01/2021 Ferruh Yigit
  2021-01-22  6:38 ` Ruifeng Wang
@ 2021-01-26  9:04 ` Ferruh Yigit
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2021-01-26  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, Thomas Monjalon, David Marchand
  Cc: John McNamara, Chen, Zhaoyan, Xu, Qian Q

On 1/21/2021 12:04 PM, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> Meeting minutes of 21 January 2021
> ----------------------------------

<...>

> 
> Release Dates
> -------------
> 
> * v21.02 dates
>    * -rc1 is released on Tuesday, 19 January 2021
>      * http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/4846307.Pfn0FrbqUJ@thomas/
>    * -rc2                Friday, 29 January 2021
>    * -rc3                Friday, 5 February 2021
>    * Release pushed to   *Wednesday, 17 February 2021*
> 
>    * Release date may conflict with Chinese New Year, we need to discuss and
>      define the release date offline in the mail list, please comment.


Hi all,

Following is the status of the Intel validation team,

If the -rc2 & -rc3 quality is good, the Intel validation team can finish the 
-rc3 testing before holiday starts (11 February) so that release can be done on 
17 February.

If the code changes need to happen after 11 February, or if there are more than 
expected defects on the -rc3 testing, pushing the release to 26 February is the 
safest option to complete all testing after holidays.


Taking into account that -rc3 is on 5 February, this gives us a little time to 
code freeze to make release on 17 February.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-01-26  9:04 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-01-21 12:04 [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 21/01/2021 Ferruh Yigit
2021-01-22  6:38 ` Ruifeng Wang
2021-01-22 12:11   ` Ananyev, Konstantin
2021-01-26  9:04 ` Ferruh Yigit

DPDK patches and discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/0 dev/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 dev dev/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev \
		dev@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index dev

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.dev


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git