From: Ruslan Bilovol <rbilovol@cisco.com>
To: Sergio Gonzalez Monroy <sergio.gonzalez.monroy@intel.com>, dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Is contiguous hugepages memory still required in latest DPDKs?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:08:38 +0200	[thread overview]

On 03/21/2017 04:41 PM, Sergio Gonzalez Monroy wrote:
> The DPDK will still try to allocate contiguous hugepages.
> Since DPDK v16.07 the mempool library is able to create a mempool with multiple chunks of memory.
> You would still have the contig memory restriction for any other DPDK library or app.
>
> Are you pre-allocating hugepages on boot (kernel cmdline) or runtime?
I tried both cases, and there is no much difference between them.
(I used debug prints in kernel to see physical address of preallocated hugepages

Main issue is that linux kernel memory allocation algorithm was changed
with "fair zone allocator policy" commits, and in my case need to
pre-allocate 2x or even 3x more hugepages now.

Regards,
Ruslan