* [dpdk-dev] ixgbe and UDP with zero checksum
@ 2021-01-27 13:49 Paolo Valerio
From: Paolo Valerio @ 2021-01-27 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: jia.guo, haiyue.wang, Aaron Conole

Hi,

performing some tests, I noticed that on ixgbe when receiving UDP
packets with zero checksum (no checksum) over IPv4, the corresponding
ol_flag for the l4 checksum is set to PKT_RX_L4_CKSUM_BAD.

In particular, this apparently has an impact on OvS using ct() action
where UDP packets with zero checksum are not tracked because of that.

I also verified it using testpmd (on 20.11 and using the latest sources):

# lshw -businfo -c network
Bus info          Device     Class          Description
pci@0000:01:00.0  em1        network        82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection
pci@0000:01:00.1  em2        network        82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection

testpmd -l 2,4 -w 0000:01:00.0 -- -i --port-topology=chained --enable-rx-cksum
testpmd> show device info all

********************* Infos for device 0000:01:00.0 *********************
Bus name: pci
Driver name: net_ixgbe
Devargs:
Connect to socket: 0

        Port id: 0
        MAC address: EC:F4:BB:DB:FC:18
        Device name: 0000:01:00.0
        Device speed capability: 1 Gbps   10 Gbps

testpmd> set fwd rxonly
testpmd> set verbose 1
testpmd> start

and sending packets from a tester machine using scapy (w/ non zero and zero checksum):

sendp(Ether(src="ec:f4:bb:dc:09:d0",dst="ec:f4:bb:db:fc:18")/IP(src="192.168.30.200", dst="192.168.30.100")/UDP()/Raw("a"*100), iface="em1")

sendp(Ether(src="ec:f4:bb:dc:09:d0",dst="ec:f4:bb:db:fc:18")/IP(src="192.168.30.200", dst="192.168.30.100")/UDP(chksum=0)/Raw("a"*100), iface="em1")

the results are respectively:

port 0/queue 0: received 1 packets
  src=EC:F4:BB:DC:09:D0 - dst=EC:F4:BB:DB:FC:18 - type=0x0800 - length=142 - nb_segs=1 - hw ptype: L2_ETHER L3_IPV4 L4_UDP  - sw ptype: L2_ETHER L3_IPV4 L4_UDP  - l2_len=14 - l3_len=20 - l4_len=8 - Receive queue=0x0
  ol_flags: PKT_RX_L4_CKSUM_GOOD PKT_RX_IP_CKSUM_GOOD PKT_RX_OUTER_L4_CKSUM_UNKNOWN

port 0/queue 0: received 1 packets
  src=EC:F4:BB:DC:09:D0 - dst=EC:F4:BB:DB:FC:18 - type=0x0800 - length=142 - nb_segs=1 - hw ptype: L2_ETHER L3_IPV4 L4_UDP  - sw ptype: L2_ETHER L3_IPV4 L4_UDP  - l2_len=14 - l3_len=20 - l4_len=8 - Receive queue=0x0
  ol_flags: PKT_RX_L4_CKSUM_BAD PKT_RX_IP_CKSUM_GOOD PKT_RX_OUTER_L4_CKSUM_UNKNOWN

Considering that the checksum for UDP over IPv4 can be optionally
disabled by the sender (although usually computed and transmitted),
is this behavior expected?

For completeness sake, I found an old patch [1] in the ixgbe linux
driver that seems to be related to what I'm seeing. The code changed a
little, but it's still there.

[1] https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/patch/20090724040031.30202.1531.stgit@localhost.localdomain/

Regards,
Paolo

* Re: [dpdk-dev] ixgbe and UDP with zero checksum
@ 2021-01-27 17:26 ` Wang, Haiyue
From: Wang, Haiyue @ 2021-01-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Valerio, dev; +Cc: Guo, Jia, Aaron Conole

Hi Paolo,

About 12 years old patch, it is hardware errata. For fixing this,
have to always disable vector Rx path for 82599, it seems not a
good idea to bring in this workaround. :(

+		/*
+		 * 82599 errata, UDP frames with a 0 checksum can be marked as
+		 * checksum errors.
+		 */
+		if ((pkt_info & IXGBE_RXDADV_PKTTYPE_UDP) &&
+		    (adapter->hw.mac.type == ixgbe_mac_82599EB))
+			return;

@ 2021-01-27 18:21   ` Aaron Conole
From: Aaron Conole @ 2021-01-27 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Haiyue; +Cc: Paolo Valerio, dev, Guo, Jia

"Wang, Haiyue" <haiyue.wang@intel.com> writes:

> Hi Paolo,

Just wondering that it means here - there's a user of DPDK who has an
ixgbe card exhibiting this behavior.  What do DPDK engineers tell them
to do?  Change the hardware?  Upgrade the firmware?

@ 2021-01-27 21:35   ` Paolo Valerio
From: Paolo Valerio @ 2021-01-27 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Haiyue; +Cc: Guo, Jia, Aaron Conole, dev

"Wang, Haiyue" <haiyue.wang@intel.com> writes:

> Hi Paolo,

Thanks for the answer.
Yes, as I mentioned, the patch is old although still meaningful.
I linked it mostly because it mentions the hw errata.

I would refer to Aaron's questions because they bring up the point.

@ 2021-01-29  2:02     ` Wang, Haiyue
From: Wang, Haiyue @ 2021-01-29  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
> >> performing some tests, I noticed that on ixgbe when receiving UDP
> >> packets with zero checksum (no checksum) over IPv4, the corresponding
> >> ol_flag for the l4 checksum is set to PKT_RX_L4_CKSUM_BAD.
> >>
> >> In particular, this apparently has an impact on OvS using ct() action
> >> where UDP packets with zero checksum are not tracked because of that.
> >

> >> [1]
> >>
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/patch/20090724040031.30202.1531.stgit@localhost.localdomai
> >> n/
> >
> > About 12 years old patch, it is hardware errata. For fixing this,
> > have to always disable vector Rx path for 82599, it seems not a
> > good idea to bring in this workaround. :(
> >

> Thanks for the answer.
> Yes, as I mentioned, the patch is old although still meaningful.
> I linked it mostly because it mentions the hw errata.

What's your PCI device ID ? My worked ixgbe:

86:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection [8086:10fb] (rev 01)

I'm wondering if people will complain that the patch will mark the real bad checksum UDP as
GOOD. For handling this correctly, looks like driver needs to check the UDP's checksum value,
if zero, then skip the error information, but this makes driver do the network stack things ...

* Re: [dpdk-dev] ixgbe and UDP with zero checksum
@ 2021-01-29  2:59       ` Wang, Haiyue
From: Wang, Haiyue @ 2021-01-29  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Valerio, Yang, Qiming; +Cc: Guo, Jia, Aaron Conole, dev

Hi Paolo,

Sorry, I missed the PKT_RX_L4_CKSUM_BAD information, yes, my NIC have the issue.

> 86:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection
> [8086:10fb] (rev 01)
>
> I'm wondering if people will complain that the patch will mark the real bad checksum UDP as

Zero checksum is more popular case, please file a bug on https://bugs.dpdk.org/ to trace the fix.

Thanks for pointing it out.

@ 2021-01-29 14:19         ` Paolo Valerio
From: Paolo Valerio @ 2021-01-29 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Haiyue, Yang, Qiming; +Cc: Guo, Jia, Aaron Conole, dev

"Wang, Haiyue" <haiyue.wang@intel.com> writes:

> Hi Paolo,

ack, I'm going to file it.

Thanks,
Paolo

@ 2021-02-02  7:41           ` Wang, Haiyue
From: Wang, Haiyue @ 2021-02-02  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feifei Wang, Ruifeng Wang
  Cc: Guo, Jia, Aaron Conole, dev, Yang, Qiming, Paolo Valerio

+ ARM experts, Feifei and Ruifeng.

Need your further support for ARM NEON path.

https://patchwork.dpdk.org/patch/87617/

* [dpdk-dev] 回复: ixgbe and UDP with zero checksum
@ 2021-02-02  9:33             ` Feifei Wang
From: Feifei Wang @ 2021-02-02  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Haiyue, Ruifeng Wang
  Cc: Guo, Jia, Aaron Conole, dev, Yang, Qiming, Paolo Valerio, nd

Hi, Haiyue

We will release the patch to support zero checksum  in arm neon path later.

Best Regards
Feifei