test suite reviews and discussions
* [dts] RSS Key Update Feature
@ 2020-06-29 21:07 David Liu
From: David Liu @ 2020-06-29 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpdk-dev, dts
  Cc: Lincoln Lavoie, David Liu, David Marchand, Thomas Monjalon,
	Ferruh Yigit, Andrew Rybchenko, Ori Kam, Ciara Power,
	Ivan Ilchenko, Hemant Agrawal, Stephen Hemminger,
	Raslan Darawsheh

Hello all,

I will be implementing a test in DTS for RSS Key Update.
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/features.html#rss-key-update

To my understanding, this feature will test the ability to configure the
hash key of the ports. If that is incorrect, please let me know.

Configure the port RSS hash key in testpmd and check if the new key will be
kept. Test configure the hash key that is longer than the max length and
shorter than the max length.

Then start sending in packets with different source and destination IP
addresses. Ensure the ports are still able to calculate the hash value from
the incoming packets.

Please let me know if there is anything else need to be tested,

Thanks,
David Liu
UNH Interoperability Lab

* Re: [dts] RSS Key Update Feature
@ 2020-06-29 23:48 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-06-29 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Liu
  Cc: dpdk-dev, dts, Lincoln Lavoie, David Marchand, Ferruh Yigit,
	Andrew Rybchenko, Ori Kam, Ciara Power, Ivan Ilchenko,
	Hemant Agrawal, Stephen Hemminger, Raslan Darawsheh

29/06/2020 23:07, David Liu:
> Hello all,
>
> I will be implementing a test in DTS for RSS Key Update.
> http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/features.html#rss-key-update
>
> To my understanding, this feature will test the ability to configure the
> hash key of the ports. If that is incorrect, please let me know.
>
> Configure the port RSS hash key in testpmd and check if the new key will be
> kept. Test configure the hash key that is longer than the max length and
> shorter than the max length.
>
> Then start sending in packets with different source and destination IP
> addresses. Ensure the ports are still able to calculate the hash value from
> the incoming packets.

Updating the key should change the destination queue of the packets.
By setting up multi-queue Rx and choosing IP addresses accordingly,
you can see packets arriving on the expected queue.

> Please let me know if there is anything else need to be tested,

A related test could be to read the computed hash in the mbuf metadata.

* Re: [dts] RSS Key Update Feature
@ 2020-06-30 13:01   ` David Liu
From: David Liu @ 2020-06-30 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon