test suite reviews and discussions
* [RFC] Python Version for DTS
@ 2022-01-20 14:42 Owen Hilyard
From: Owen Hilyard @ 2022-01-20 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dts, dev; +Cc: Honnappa Nagarahalli

Hello Everyone,

DTS has operated using the version of python available in the oldest
supported Ubuntu LTS for a while now, but after some discussion in the
working group, we decided that DTS should designate a Python version
explicitly for the sake of compatibility. My initial proposal is Python
3.6, due to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS shipping with it by default. Currently, the
Community CI Lab runs Python 3.8 on all testers (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), but for
the sake of compatibility a lower python version might be desirable.

The working group is specifically looking for reasons to not use Python 3.6.

The Community CI Lab perspective is that versions higher than 3.8 are not
acceptable due to the issues with changing the default Python installation
on Ubuntu. This may be raised to 3.10 in June of this year after we have
had time to evaluate the 22.04 release of Ubuntu.

Owen Hilyard

* Re: [RFC] Python Version for DTS
@ 2022-01-20 15:53 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-01-20 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Owen Hilyard; +Cc: dts, dev, Honnappa Nagarahalli

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:42:51 -0500
Owen Hilyard <ohilyard@iol.unh.edu> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> DTS has operated using the version of python available in the oldest
> supported Ubuntu LTS for a while now, but after some discussion in the
> working group, we decided that DTS should designate a Python version
> explicitly for the sake of compatibility. My initial proposal is Python
> 3.6, due to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS shipping with it by default. Currently, the
> Community CI Lab runs Python 3.8 on all testers (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), but for
> the sake of compatibility a lower python version might be desirable.
>
> The working group is specifically looking for reasons to not use Python 3.6.
>
> The Community CI Lab perspective is that versions higher than 3.8 are not
> acceptable due to the issues with changing the default Python installation
> on Ubuntu. This may be raised to 3.10 in June of this year after we have
> had time to evaluate the 22.04 release of Ubuntu.
>
> Owen Hilyard

Python 3.6 reached end of life in 2021.

https://lwn.net/Articles/880859/

* RE: [RFC] Python Version for DTS
@ 2022-01-21  1:00   ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2022-01-21  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, Owen Hilyard; +Cc: dts, dev, nd, nd

<snip>

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:42:51 -0500
> Owen Hilyard <ohilyard@iol.unh.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > DTS has operated using the version of python available in the oldest
> > supported Ubuntu LTS for a while now, but after some discussion in the
> > working group, we decided that DTS should designate a Python version
> > explicitly for the sake of compatibility. My initial proposal is
> > Python 3.6, due to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS shipping with it by default.
> > Currently, the Community CI Lab runs Python 3.8 on all testers (Ubuntu
> > 20.04 LTS), but for the sake of compatibility a lower python version might be
> desirable.
> >
> > The working group is specifically looking for reasons to not use Python 3.6.
> >
> > The Community CI Lab perspective is that versions higher than 3.8 are
> > not acceptable due to the issues with changing the default Python
> > installation on Ubuntu. This may be raised to 3.10 in June of this
> > year after we have had time to evaluate the 22.04 release of Ubuntu.
I guess only reason to specify a (max) supported Python version is the environment in community lab. So, if someone submits a patch that requires a newer version, it should be caught in the CI. This should enable us to reject such a patch.

@ 2022-02-02 13:37     ` Owen Hilyard
From: Owen Hilyard @ 2022-02-02 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Honnappa Nagarahalli; +Cc: Stephen Hemminger, dts, dev, nd