DPDK community structure changes
From: "O'Driscoll, Tim" <tim.odriscoll@intel.com>
To: Vincent JARDIN <vincent.jardin@6wind.com>,
	Dave Neary <dneary@redhat.com>,
	 Kevin Traynor <ktraynor@redhat.com>,
	"moving@dpdk.org" <moving@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] Minutes from "Moving DPDK to Linux Foundation" call, December 20th
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 22:23:49 +0000	[thread overview]

Yes, we're getting close. I hoped that we would be able to start the discussion on membership rates and identifying members at this week's meeting, but that didn't happen. We should definitely do that at next week's meeting.

> Hi Dave,
>
> I agree that we are close, but there are still some few topics that were
> raised based on some reviews of the charter during the seasonal:
>    - meetings of the Governing board should be opened, I heard from Mike
> that there are some issues because some people do not like 'open board'.
> Please, they need to be explained.

I've summarized the reasons that were given by Mike and Ed in the minutes. We agreed to consider this again and finalize it at next week's call.

>    - there will be a fee for the lab, it shall be the *same fee* for
> everyone so everyone share the same constraints and benefits for the
> same fee.

As I said on the call on Tuesday, I don't agree that all members should pay the same rate for the lab. I agree that the total cost should be the same for Gold and Silver members, but account needs to be taken of how much they've already contributed to the project through membership fees. If we ask Gold members to contribute more funding to the project, and then expect them to pay the same rate as Silver members for lab services, then they're effectively paying twice.

Anyway, we agreed that we would specify in the charter that rates and limits on lab equipment will be determined by the Governing Board.