Hello, please find the Linaro CLA that passed many large companies lawyers for IP: http://opendataplane.org/contributor/individual/ Compnies that already signed it (not all are listed): ARM, Broadcom, Canonical, Cavium, Cisco, Comcast, Ericsson, ENEA, Facebook, Hisilicon, HP Enterprise, Huawei, MontaVista, Nokia, NXP, Qualcomm, RedHat, Samsung, Socionext, Spreadtrum, ST microelectronics, Texas Instruments, Wind River, ZTE I wonder how to read "Need for a CLA is a problem for some contributors due to the need to get legal approval." Is it: "let's mask the problem to lawyers because they may NOT allow us to continue our technical fun?" or is it "this is just a burden that may take long and I don't want to lose time". Cordially, FF On 1 December 2016 at 19:50, Dave Neary wrote: > > > On 12/01/2016 01:41 PM, Dave Neary wrote: > >> Note that I’m assuming that the combination of Apache 2 and a CLA isn't > an option because this seems redundant as both include patent protection. > Maybe there are other reasons that would make this a valid combination > though. > > > > The Apache Software Foundation requires CLAs with copyright assignment > > to the foundation for official Apache projects - this is to allow for > > future license changes (an Apache v3 license), and also reflects some of > > the difficulties of a 30 year old project (several of the original > > copyright holders are no longer with the project, or have died, and the > > succession rights for copyright materials can sometimes result in > > unfortunate conflicts between the estates and open source projects). > > A small but important correction: The ASF CLA is a grant of a broad > copyright license which allows, among other things, the ASF to > redistribute the software under a different license. It is not a > copyright assignment. > > Thanks, > Dave. > > -- > Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy > Open Source and Standards, Red Hat - http://community.redhat.com > Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338 > -- [image: Linaro] François-Frédéric Ozog | *Director Linaro Networking Group* T: +33.67221.6485 francois.ozog@linaro.org | Skype: ffozog