patches for DPDK stable branches
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [dpdk-stable] Should we backport or skip e132ee86 "devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure"
@ 2021-06-01  6:07 Christian Ehrhardt
  2021-06-01  7:01 ` Xueming(Steven) Li
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Christian Ehrhardt @ 2021-06-01  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpdk stable, Xueming Li; +Cc: Luca Boccassi

Hi Xueming,

I wanted to let you know that while backporting:
  Commit e132ee8690474fa985e26f1d4db75823024748c8
  Author: Xueming Li <xuemingl@nvidia.com>
  Date:   Tue Apr 13 03:14:09 2021 +0000
      devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure

I've found

[  288s] ../lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_devargs.c:171:16: error:
passing argument 1 of ‘free’ discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer
target type [-Werror=discarded-qualifiers]
[  288s]   171 |    free(devargs->data);
[  288s]       |         ~~~~~~~^~~~~~
[  288s] In file included from ../lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_common.h:20,
[  288s]                  from ../lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_log.h:25,
[  288s]                  from ../lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_bus.h:24,
[  288s]                  from ../lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_devargs.c:13:
[  288s] /usr/include/stdlib.h:565:25: note: expected ‘void *’ but
argument is of type ‘const char *’
[  288s]   565 | extern void free (void *__ptr) __THROW;
[  288s]       |                   ~~~~~~^~~~~

I've seen that to make it work it would require some more from the
same series, but that was not targeted at dpgk-stable

  Commit 64051bb1f144c418f3fc76e6d0973337b05d5886
  Author: Xueming Li <xuemingl@nvidia.com>
  Date:   Tue Apr 13 03:14:08 2021 +0000
      devargs: unify scratch buffer storage

Then I've checked and seen that it is also not present in
lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_devargs.c of 20.11.2 that
you are preparing so I have also dropped it from 19.11.9 as well for now.

Do you think you'd want to create backports of this for 19.11/20.11 or
is it not important enough to bother about it?

-- 
Christian Ehrhardt
Staff Engineer, Ubuntu Server
Canonical Ltd

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-stable] Should we backport or skip e132ee86 "devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure"
  2021-06-01  6:07 [dpdk-stable] Should we backport or skip e132ee86 "devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure" Christian Ehrhardt
@ 2021-06-01  7:01 ` Xueming(Steven) Li
  2021-06-01  7:45   ` Christian Ehrhardt
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Xueming(Steven) Li @ 2021-06-01  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Ehrhardt, dpdk stable; +Cc: Luca Boccassi



> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christian Ehrhardt <christian.ehrhardt@canonical.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 2:07 PM
> To: dpdk stable <stable@dpdk.org>; Xueming(Steven) Li <xuemingl@nvidia.com>
> Cc: Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>
> Subject: Should we backport or skip e132ee86 "devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure"
> 
> Hi Xueming,
> 
> I wanted to let you know that while backporting:
>   Commit e132ee8690474fa985e26f1d4db75823024748c8
>   Author: Xueming Li <xuemingl@nvidia.com>
>   Date:   Tue Apr 13 03:14:09 2021 +0000
>       devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure
> 
> I've found
> 
> [  288s] ../lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_devargs.c:171:16: error:
> passing argument 1 of ‘free’ discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror=discarded-qualifiers]
> [  288s]   171 |    free(devargs->data);
> [  288s]       |         ~~~~~~~^~~~~~
> [  288s] In file included from ../lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_common.h:20,
> [  288s]                  from ../lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_log.h:25,
> [  288s]                  from ../lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_bus.h:24,
> [  288s]                  from ../lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_devargs.c:13:
> [  288s] /usr/include/stdlib.h:565:25: note: expected ‘void *’ but argument is of type ‘const char *’
> [  288s]   565 | extern void free (void *__ptr) __THROW;
> [  288s]       |                   ~~~~~~^~~~~
> 
> I've seen that to make it work it would require some more from the same series, but that was not targeted at dpgk-stable
> 
>   Commit 64051bb1f144c418f3fc76e6d0973337b05d5886
>   Author: Xueming Li <xuemingl@nvidia.com>
>   Date:   Tue Apr 13 03:14:08 2021 +0000
>       devargs: unify scratch buffer storage
> 
> Then I've checked and seen that it is also not present in lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_devargs.c of 20.11.2 that you are
> preparing so I have also dropped it from 19.11.9 as well for now.
> 
> Do you think you'd want to create backports of this for 19.11/20.11 or is it not important enough to bother about it?

Yes, need another patch to make this one work. But I don't think it important enough to have it.
> 
> --
> Christian Ehrhardt
> Staff Engineer, Ubuntu Server
> Canonical Ltd

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-stable] Should we backport or skip e132ee86 "devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure"
  2021-06-01  7:01 ` Xueming(Steven) Li
@ 2021-06-01  7:45   ` Christian Ehrhardt
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Christian Ehrhardt @ 2021-06-01  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xueming(Steven) Li; +Cc: dpdk stable, Luca Boccassi

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 9:01 AM Xueming(Steven) Li <xuemingl@nvidia.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Christian Ehrhardt <christian.ehrhardt@canonical.com>
> > Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 2:07 PM
> > To: dpdk stable <stable@dpdk.org>; Xueming(Steven) Li <xuemingl@nvidia.com>
> > Cc: Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>
> > Subject: Should we backport or skip e132ee86 "devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure"
> >
> > Hi Xueming,
> >
> > I wanted to let you know that while backporting:
> >   Commit e132ee8690474fa985e26f1d4db75823024748c8
> >   Author: Xueming Li <xuemingl@nvidia.com>
> >   Date:   Tue Apr 13 03:14:09 2021 +0000
> >       devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure
> >
> > I've found
> >
> > [  288s] ../lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_devargs.c:171:16: error:
> > passing argument 1 of ‘free’ discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror=discarded-qualifiers]
> > [  288s]   171 |    free(devargs->data);
> > [  288s]       |         ~~~~~~~^~~~~~
> > [  288s] In file included from ../lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_common.h:20,
> > [  288s]                  from ../lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_log.h:25,
> > [  288s]                  from ../lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_bus.h:24,
> > [  288s]                  from ../lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_devargs.c:13:
> > [  288s] /usr/include/stdlib.h:565:25: note: expected ‘void *’ but argument is of type ‘const char *’
> > [  288s]   565 | extern void free (void *__ptr) __THROW;
> > [  288s]       |                   ~~~~~~^~~~~
> >
> > I've seen that to make it work it would require some more from the same series, but that was not targeted at dpgk-stable
> >
> >   Commit 64051bb1f144c418f3fc76e6d0973337b05d5886
> >   Author: Xueming Li <xuemingl@nvidia.com>
> >   Date:   Tue Apr 13 03:14:08 2021 +0000
> >       devargs: unify scratch buffer storage
> >
> > Then I've checked and seen that it is also not present in lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_devargs.c of 20.11.2 that you are
> > preparing so I have also dropped it from 19.11.9 as well for now.
> >
> > Do you think you'd want to create backports of this for 19.11/20.11 or is it not important enough to bother about it?
>
> Yes, need another patch to make this one work. But I don't think it important enough to have it.

Great, that is all I needed to know to "let it go" mentally :-)
Thanks!

> > --
> > Christian Ehrhardt
> > Staff Engineer, Ubuntu Server
> > Canonical Ltd



-- 
Christian Ehrhardt
Staff Engineer, Ubuntu Server
Canonical Ltd

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-06-01  7:45 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-06-01  6:07 [dpdk-stable] Should we backport or skip e132ee86 "devargs: fix memory leak on parsing failure" Christian Ehrhardt
2021-06-01  7:01 ` Xueming(Steven) Li
2021-06-01  7:45   ` Christian Ehrhardt

patches for DPDK stable branches

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/stable/0 stable/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 stable stable/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/stable \
		stable@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index stable

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.stable


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git