patches for DPDK stable branches
From: Christian Ehrhardt <christian.ehrhardt@canonical.com>
To: dpdk stable <stable@dpdk.org>
Cc: dev <dev@dpdk.org>,
	Abhishek Marathe <Abhishek.Marathe@microsoft.com>,
	 Akhil Goyal <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>,
	Ali Alnubani <alialnu@nvidia.com>,
	 "Walker, Benjamin" <benjamin.walker@intel.com>,
	David Christensen <drc@linux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	 "Govindharajan, Hariprasad" <hariprasad.govindharajan@intel.com>,
	 Hemant Agrawal <hemant.agrawal@nxp.com>,
	Ian Stokes <ian.stokes@intel.com>,
	 Jerin Jacob <jerinj@marvell.com>,
	John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>,
	 Ju-Hyoung Lee <juhlee@microsoft.com>,
	Kevin Traynor <ktraynor@redhat.com>,
	 Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>, Pei Zhang <pezhang@redhat.com>,
	"Yu, PingX" <pingx.yu@intel.com>,
	 "Xu, Qian Q" <qian.q.xu@intel.com>,
	Raslan Darawsheh <rasland@nvidia.com>,
	 Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>,
	"Peng, Yuan" <yuan.peng@intel.com>,
	 "Chen, Zhaoyan" <zhaoyan.chen@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-stable] [dpdk-dev] 19.11.8 patches review and test
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 11:12:46 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:44 AM Christian Ehrhardt
<christian.ehrhardt@canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is a list of patches targeted for stable release 19.11.8.
>
> The planned date for the final release is 16th April.
>
> Please help with testing and validation of your use cases and report
> any issues/results with reply-all to this mail. For the final release
> the fixes and reported validations will be added to the release notes.
>
> Note:
> This is a special interim release not following the releases of recent
> mainline (that was 19.11.7). Instead this addresses issues with >=19.11.6
> identified and discussed in:
>   http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/stable/2021-March/029418.html
>
> Testing-Note:
> The only changes this release has over the former one are about linking.
> We switch back to how it was <=19.11.6 since it regressed some use-cases.
> The most known one at the moment is building OVS 2.13 vs a DPDK that was
> built with meson. It seems that make-based DPDK builds are unaffected.
> Due to that this verification phase should not so much be about the usual
> performance, functionality, ... (I'm happy if you run those, but they are
> not strictly required). Instead the focus should mostly about buildability
> via the various possible combinations that exist.

I can confirm that with 19.11.8 the build of OpenVswitch vs a
meson-built DPDK works again.
Tested on OVS 2.13.3 vs DPDK 19.11.8-rc1 in Ubuntu 20.04 and 20.10 on
all supported
architectures (amd64,armhf,arm64 and ppc64el - the others
s390x/riscv64 don't have DPDK built).

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Staff Engineer, Ubuntu Server