From: "Wiles, Keith" <keith.wiles@intel.com>
To: "Merve Orakcı" <merveorakci58@gmail.com>
Cc: users <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK-Pktgen big pcap files
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 15:56:13 +0000	[thread overview]

> On Dec 5, 2020, at 4:36 AM, Merve Orakcı <merveorakci58@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyboyd, I have 58 GB pcap file. I want to use this pcap file and send
> packet over DPDK port. For this reason, I use Pktgen tool but when i try to
> replay pcap file. pktgen aborted. This is about not enough memory for this
> pcap file? How should I adjust pktgen?
>
> root@lucky-X10SRA:/home/lucky# grep -i huge /proc/meminfo
> AnonHugePages:         0 kB
> ShmemHugePages:        0 kB
> HugePages_Total:      28
> HugePages_Free:       28
> HugePages_Rsvd:        0
> HugePages_Surp:        0
> Hugepagesize:    1048576 kB

Getting 58GB pcap file to be sent by Pktgen is going to be hard as the number of packet buffers currently allocated to Pktgen is not that huge. The other problem you have only have 28 hugepages. For Pktgen to use that large of file it needs to load all 58GB into memory and then we have to adjust the number of buffers that Pktgen allocates, which means changing the code. The PCAP file is somewhat compressed meaning packets are back to back and Pktgen would need (normally) a 2K buffer for even one 64 byte frame. So multiply the number of frames in the 58GB file with 2K and that is how much memory you would need to hold that 58K file.

Maybe some other tool is needed to send this large of a file.  It appears I am not going to be much help here :-(