* [dpdk-users]  DPDK and isolcpus
@ 2019-07-26 14:56 曾懷恩
From: 曾懷恩 @ 2019-07-26 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: contact; +Cc: users

Hi Filip,

Do you use Mellanox NIC?

In my experience, rte_lcore_count only counts those lcores that are not isolated when using mlx5 driver.

And Intel ixgbe counts lcores correctly even I use isolcpus flag

BR,

Sent from my iPhone

> From: Filip Janiszewski <contact@filipjaniszewski.com>
> To: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
> Subject: [dpdk-users] DPDK and isolcpus

> I've configured a bunch of my box cores with isolcpus and nohz_full in
> the attempt to squeeze a little more performance out of them, but,
> apparently I can't use those core in DPDK anymore as it seems that
> rte_lcore_count reports only core which are not isolated, also I can't
> launch any thread (rte_eal_remote_launch) on those cores.
>
> In my understanding
> (http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.02/setup/performance_opt.html) I should be
> able to "Use the isolcpus Linux kernel parameter to isolate them from
> Linux scheduler to reduce context switches. It prevents workloads of
> other processes than DPDK running on reserved cores with isolcpus
> parameter." but can't make it work.
>
> Which is the correct way to bind DPDK threads to isolated cpus?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> BR, Filip
> +48 666 369 823
>

> End of users Digest, Vol 196, Issue 5
> *************************************

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK and isolcpus
@ 2019-07-26 14:56   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-07-26 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 曾懷恩; +Cc: users

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 22:50:47 +0800
曾懷恩 <the@csie.io> wrote:

> Hi Filip,
>
> Do you use Mellanox NIC?
>
> In my experience, rte_lcore_count only counts those lcores that are not isolated when using mlx5 driver.
>
> And Intel ixgbe counts lcores correctly even I use isolcpus flag
>
> BR,
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > From: Filip Janiszewski <contact@filipjaniszewski.com>
> > To: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
> > Subject: [dpdk-users] DPDK and isolcpus
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've configured a bunch of my box cores with isolcpus and nohz_full in
> > the attempt to squeeze a little more performance out of them, but,
> > apparently I can't use those core in DPDK anymore as it seems that
> > rte_lcore_count reports only core which are not isolated, also I can't
> > launch any thread (rte_eal_remote_launch) on those cores.
> >
> > In my understanding
> > (http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.02/setup/performance_opt.html) I should be
> > able to "Use the isolcpus Linux kernel parameter to isolate them from
> > Linux scheduler to reduce context switches. It prevents workloads of
> > other processes than DPDK running on reserved cores with isolcpus
> > parameter." but can't make it work.
> >
> > Which is the correct way to bind DPDK threads to isolated cpus?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > BR, Filip
> > +48 666 369 823
> >

> > End of users Digest, Vol 196, Issue 5

The default behavior of DPDK is to use all CPU's it finds.
To use isolated CPU's you need to pass the cpu's to use on the command line.

dpdk-XXX -l 4-7 ...

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK and isolcpus
       [not found] <mailman.1.1564135202.18507.users@dpdk.org>
@ 2019-07-26 14:50 ` 曾懷恩