* [dpdk-users] Hugepage size on x86 architectures:
@ 2017-08-06 10:31 Kevin Wilson
From: Kevin Wilson @ 2017-08-06 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi, dpdk users,

I read the section about hugepages in:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/linux_gsg/sys_reqs.html?highlight=hugepages

So I understand that the common hugepage sizes used in x86 architectures are 2MB
and 1GB (if 1GB is supported on the CPU, which can be checked by
inspecting the CPU flags).

Is it possible to use in DPDK other hugepage size than 2MB and 1GB (in
order to benchmark performance)
on x86 architectures)?
In case it is possible - is it expected that different hugepage sizes
than 2MB and 1GB
will give less performant results ?

WK

* Re: [dpdk-users] Hugepage size on x86 architectures:
@ 2017-08-06 20:56 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-08-06 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wilson; +Cc: users

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 13:31:48 +0300
Kevin Wilson <wkevils@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to use in DPDK other hugepage size than 2MB and 1GB (in
> order to benchmark performance)
> on x86 architectures)?

I think this is a CPU hardware restriction.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Hugepage size on x86 architectures:
@ 2017-08-07 13:21   ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2017-08-07 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: Kevin Wilson, users

> On Aug 6, 2017, at 3:56 PM, Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 13:31:48 +0300
> Kevin Wilson <wkevils@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to use in DPDK other hugepage size than 2MB and 1GB (in
>> order to benchmark performance)
>> on x86 architectures)?

At this point we only have 4K, 2M and 1G, 4K is the normal page size and not strictly a huge page :-)

The hardware needs to be able to support hugepages and the Linux kernel. Running without huge pages is one option you can select from the command line.

> I think this is a CPU hardware restriction.

Regards,
Keith