* [dpdk-users] RSS with L2 payload
@ 2018-01-10  7:02 Varun Lakkur Ambaji Rao
From: Varun Lakkur Ambaji Rao @ 2018-01-10  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi All,

I am trying to use the RSS (Receive Side Scaling) feature to enable distribution of traffic to different queues. Each queue is serviced by different CPU in my DPDK APP. However, I am having trouble working with the packets with EtherType as Non-IP.

The datasheet of Intel XL710 mentions that the input set for L2_PAYLOAD type is only EtherType (Section 7.1.2 Packet types and input set) and does not take source/destination MAC addresses or just the raw payload into account.

I found a thread which discusses a similar problem here: https://www.mail-archive.com/users@dpdk.org/msg01880.html. I followed this and changed the input set to use source MAC address. Now I can see that the traffic gets distributed to different queues.

Here is the code snippet:
    struct rte_eth_hash_filter_info filter_info;
    filter_info.info_type = RTE_ETH_HASH_FILTER_INPUT_SET_SELECT;
    filter_info.info.input_set_conf.flow_type = RTE_ETH_FLOW_L2_PAYLOAD;
    filter_info.info.input_set_conf.inset_size = 1;
    filter_info.info.input_set_conf.field[0] = RTE_ETH_INPUT_SET_L2_SRC_MAC;
    filter_info.info.input_set_conf.op = RTE_ETH_INPUT_SET_ADD;

    filter_ret = rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl(m_dpdk_port, RTE_ETH_FILTER_HASH, RTE_ETH_FILTER_SET, &filter_info);

However, this same solution does not work for other NIC types (For example, Intel 82599 does not support L2_PAYLOAD type of RSS HF). Also rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl() does not work on the VF when using SRIOV on i40e. Since RSS is a hardware offload feature, this depends on whether the NIC supports it or not.

Is there a generic way to handle such a problem with DPDK and keep the APP agnostic to the underlying NIC?

- Varun

Disclaimer:
This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the intended recipient(s) only and may contain information that is considered confidential, proprietary, sensitive and/or otherwise legally protected. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail message and delete all copies of the original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-01-10  7:02 UTC | newest]