From: dawid_jurek <dawid_jurek@vp.pl>
To: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-users]  Minimal dpdk configuration for 2 hosts
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 21:47:47 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,
I wonder what is the minimal configuration (in sense on number of NIC ports) to run basic dpdk examples like
basicfwd, rxtx_callbacks or forwarding by testpmd for 2 hosts connected directly by Ethernet.
Is it possible to perform one directional transmission for some kind of sender-reciever scenario (2 hosts, every host with one port)?
It seems that for every kind of transmission between 2 machines I need at least 4 ports
(because every port may take care of TX or RX but not both of them at the same time).
Is it correct?
Regards,
Dawid
From harold.demure87@gmail.com  Sun Mar  6 10:30:52 2016
 h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
 :cc; bh=mno1kfIowkJc6iaRngy5AYRLaMvbF4YcwG/Jj4PDOE0=;
 b=ZOYix/l+0pJx7uDl3eHaDHdPB31Xj329+l8blkSCVKU4UbdZ1VxSrCHEp14NGuSMXv
 y3sXuDlklALNhR9RMPAOmVObcAomdow+V221Xmod1b5l8my+9szdXX1AMkPn4yfChgvS
 +Y23r5/IILI2SKDOlCe4gmcURVxYthByTCjTdL+/WVzhQo4e05SiZnWdH4a4Jzy7OBcl
 5qT/o8cyXFPUhGzHsciec/k0kuch2HGL/ppQc3N17J5H5nbqwusas+FdY5oSBXAvSl2A
 Moa7dg62v9ffkDRp0Ayhk8f+KNROmnGExtXqL3Etdf1hHV2JH5eMDVIcpan2fzNLypob
 /TUg=X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
 d\x1e100.net; s 130820;
 h=x-gm-message-state:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date
 :message-id:subject:from:to:cc;
 bh=mno1kfIowkJc6iaRngy5AYRLaMvbF4YcwG/Jj4PDOE0=;
 b=SVnnTeSekuwBEusIuqAHUihHvb1MaLkjxOmKmCK9beXVTIynzad+qT6L9d+xgz8lM2
 8YPxrlm9CC52lS9DtSqjyslF99JLOAm2cGGPMWfiAinUWHAHFDZFidJ7UBDbHuYFXIwA
 iSGJfJGgNvyTDLXGkUeeY62nGzTRE2wf22pOJjzCtLIjkxb0dX9R8JcqOND+9jwHipyr
 FOnlksdLfst/7eqeWuB7vvjlPUeStRExtGz1sGH5IAmpvUyQFevxPMbgFv+Hxz6Qvxm0
 7XFo54w82dE2ew1STWT0KeX0l7JVdT9eWtZPIJx20rzB+/C+1IEjmw64XFyKAmbNz2Zw
 upLw=X-Gm-Message-State: AD7BkJLB4M8VhtfPnFtsIQxdHgHMfplKybjObkm3dDoP/cHKffTLzzUeQsQkQi5U032vwK/HtfRkxb+H88suKg=MIME-Version: 1.0
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 10:30:51 +0100
From: Harold Demure <harold.demure87@gmail.com>
To: dawid_jurek <dawid_jurek@vp.pl>
Cc: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>

Hello Dawid,
  I am no expert but a single port should be able to take care of both TX
and RX queues. For example, I am currently running two hosts with only one
port each and they are able to both send and receive messages.
Regards,
 Harold