From: Matthew Hall <mhall@mhcomputing.net>
To: Cliff Burdick <shaklee3@gmail.com>
Cc: gowrishankar <gowrishankar.m@linux.vnet.ibm.com>, users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Difficulty With rte_eal_init()
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 14:30:44 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 02:16:45PM -0700, Cliff Burdick wrote:
> Hi Matthew, sorry for the late response. I'm getting compilation errors
> when I try to do what you suggested. I should have the same headers
> included by the l2fwd example. I'm running g++ 4.8.5. Here are the new
> errors and the compilation line:

All of those seemed to be referencing _mm_alignr_epi8 which is part of
Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSSE3).

So you have to check GCC man page, docs, and code, to make sure whatever flag
required for enabling Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSSE3)
instructions is present or the intrinsic function implementations (which get
stubbed out to the assembly trampoline for the instruction named) will not
exist.

Personally, the fact that the intrinsics don't come with a default software
implementation that raises a compile warning is one of my top hatreds
associated with the use of these instructions. I've spent hours on issues like
this w/ my DPDK app...

Matthew.