* [dpdk-users] RSS RETA size of 0 on vmxnet3?
@ 2017-01-27 19:53 Rob Zimmerman
From: Rob Zimmerman @ 2017-01-27 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Happy Friday, everyone!

Testing within VMWARE and my device query is showing the following:

RSS Offload
 - reta size: 0
 - IPv4: yes
    - TCP: yes
    - UDP: no
    - SCTP: no
 - IPv6: yes

How exactly does RSS work with a table size of zero? Unless I'm completely
misunderstanding how to use RSS, I thought the redirection table was
instrumental to that process...

FWIW, I'm running the same code on a bare-metal box with Intel I350's
(igb_pmd) and it's showing a RETA size of 128, so I don't think it's my
code showing a junk value.

Thanks!
Rob

* Re: [dpdk-users] RSS RETA size of 0 on vmxnet3?
@ 2017-01-27 22:03 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-01-27 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Zimmerman; +Cc: users

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 14:53:22 -0500
Rob Zimmerman <rob@thezims.net> wrote:

> Happy Friday, everyone!
>
> Testing within VMWARE and my device query is showing the following:
>
> RSS Offload
>  - reta size: 0
>  - IPv4: yes
>     - TCP: yes
>     - UDP: no
>     - SCTP: no
>  - IPv6: yes
>
> How exactly does RSS work with a table size of zero? Unless I'm completely
> misunderstanding how to use RSS, I thought the redirection table was
> instrumental to that process...
>
> FWIW, I'm running the same code on a bare-metal box with Intel I350's
> (igb_pmd) and it's showing a RETA size of 128, so I don't think it's my
> code showing a junk value.
>
> Thanks!
> Rob

If you are querying a KNI interface (ie through Linux), it just means
the KNI interface doesn't do the ethtool support that value.

* Re: [dpdk-users] RSS RETA size of 0 on vmxnet3?
@ 2017-01-27 23:21   ` Rob Zimmerman
From: Rob Zimmerman @ 2017-01-27 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

Thanks for the reply, @networkplumber  :)

No KNI interface here, unfortunately. Just a plain-ol DPDK ethernet device.

In the scenario where the RETA size is 0 I'm using the vmxnet3_pmd. Within
the application the eth devices are initialized and I make a call to
rte_eth_dev_info_get().

What is everyone else seeing for the RETA size using vmxnet3?

Thanks again everyone,
~Rob

@ 2017-01-28  0:07     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-01-28  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Zimmerman; +Cc: users

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:21:10 -0500
Rob Zimmerman <rob@thezims.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, @networkplumber  :)
>
> No KNI interface here, unfortunately. Just a plain-ol DPDK ethernet device.
>

> In the scenario where the RETA size is 0 I'm using the vmxnet3_pmd. Within
> the application the eth devices are initialized and I make a call to
> rte_eth_dev_info_get().
>
> What is everyone else seeing for the RETA size using vmxnet3?
>
> Thanks again everyone,
> ~Rob

It is a vmxnet3 missing feature. The VMXNET3 protocol has ability to get/set RSS table
but the VMXNET3 driver in DPDK (originally by Intel) is missing that feature. Would not
be hard to write, just look at Linux for protocol.