From: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
To: "Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
Cc: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] A simpler question - does DPDK run over virtual interfaces?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 09:32:59 -0700

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 11:39:07 +0000
"Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> wrote:

> Let me backtrack and start by asking a simpler question - can DPDK run over
> virtual interfaces such as a loopback?
>
> Thanks - Fred

DPDK runs over devices that can be made to appear in userspace.
This include hardware (PCI), and virtualization (virtio, hyperv) where memory
normally used by kernel can be mmapd for userspace driver.

It is also possible to use DPDK virtual devices (tap, packet, xdp) which
use existing kernel API's to access packets. These are slower but more general.

Not sure what you expect here. Loopback device in kernel is special, and
trying to make that go to DPDK would be hard.