From: Iain Barker <iain.barker@oracle.com>
To: Yong Wang <yongwang@vmware.com>,
	Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>,
	Jay Miller <jay.miller@oracle.com>,
	users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Support for more RSS hash types in vmxnet3
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 06:58:03 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On September 13, 2018 6:44 PM, Yong Wang wrote:

> That's pretty much all the hash types supported by vmxnet3 by default up to version 3.
> With version 4, UDP RSS will be supported but it's only supported on certain version of ESX.
> Since v4 driver is not out yet, current VMXNET3_RSS_OFFLOAD_ALL should be good.

Ferruh/Yong,

I notice that ESXi 6.7 has been released for some months now with support for VMXNET3 version 4 including with RSS for UDP
https://docs.vmware.com/en/vSphere/6.7/solutions/vSphere-6.7.2cd6d2a77980cc623caa6062f3c89362/GUID-C500585C0560D28B71180A40A4767C57.html

I'm surprised this wasn't already present in DPDK 19.02 given how long 6.7 has been available already.

Is it just a matter of changing the definition of VMXNET3_RSS_OFFLOAD_ALL  in the PMD to support this, or are other changes required?

thanks.
Iain