* [dpdk-users] Multiple UDP ports Per NIC
@ 2018-06-06 14:29 Kevin Kall
From: Kevin Kall @ 2018-06-06 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I am brand-new to DPDK (just found out about it) and have what is likely a
simple/stupid question.

Do your libraries/framework allow for different UDP/IP packet streams being
received on a single NIC (different UDP ports) to be directed to/processed
by separate CPU cores (as if each CPU core was opening a different UDP
socket)?

Same goes for transmit - can different CPU cores transmit on separate UDP
ports on a single NIC?

If so, can someone point me to an example?

Thanks so much.

Fish

* Re: [dpdk-users] Multiple UDP ports Per NIC
@ 2018-06-07 10:10 ` Richard Nutman
       [not found]   ` <CAK9TsR0GdU6eR27Pz5+nQOHhBM9ZH6GnXecuBL9QsVbXZ4rRSw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Richard Nutman @ 2018-06-07 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi Kevin,

This is possible if you use the rte_flow system on NIC's that support it. In older versions of DPDK it was called the Flow Director.  This enables you to steer network streams to a particular receive queue, which can be processed on a particular cpu core.

See http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__flow_8h.html for more details;
Example; http://dpdk.org/doc/api/examples_2flow_filtering_2main_8c-example.html

Alternatively you can receive all packets on 1 or several cores (if you use something like RSS) and can sort and send to different cores if needs be.

Transmit works similar. Just set up multiple TX queues for each core you want to have active sending from.

Pay particular attention to which functions are thread-safe in DPDK, especially for packet pools.

-Richard.

* Re: [dpdk-users] [External] Re:  Multiple UDP ports Per NIC
       [not found]   ` <CAK9TsR0GdU6eR27Pz5+nQOHhBM9ZH6GnXecuBL9QsVbXZ4rRSw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-06-07 14:00     ` Richard Nutman
From: Richard Nutman @ 2018-06-07 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8, Size: 3561 bytes --]

Hi Kevin,

You can set an interrupt to fire on receive queues when a packet arrives, but if you’re processing packets continuously you probably don’t need that functionality.

I assume that is what it refers to, I’ve not worked with SolarFlare cards.

-Richard.

This Message originated outside your organization.
________________________________
Thank you, Richard.

Will likely be using SolarFlare NICs, and I can see that they support multiple transmit and receive queues, jumbo frames, and basic flow control, which should be what is needed.

One quick question, a SolarFlare limitation listed is lack of support for receive queue interrupts.  However, the PMD documentation states "a PMD accesses the RX and TX descriptors directly without any interrupts".  Thus, do you know what this limitation means?

Thanks.

-Kevin

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 6:10 AM, Richard Nutman <Richard.Nutman@s-a-m.com<mailto:Richard.Nutman@s-a-m.com>> wrote:
Hi Kevin,

This is possible if you use the rte_flow system on NIC's that support it. In older versions of DPDK it was called the Flow Director.  This enables you to steer network streams to a particular receive queue, which can be processed on a particular cpu core.

See http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__flow_8h.html for more details;
Example; http://dpdk.org/doc/api/examples_2flow_filtering_2main_8c-example.html

Alternatively you can receive all packets on 1 or several cores (if you use something like RSS) and can sort and send to different cores if needs be.

Transmit works similar. Just set up multiple TX queues for each core you want to have active sending from.

Pay particular attention to which functions are thread-safe in DPDK, especially for packet pools.

-Richard.

\x16º&‚\b«‰ØZ­©ëm¹Ü¢akˆ›§ó^8Û~¶Ó_\x11zÛ«œö­†\b"®'aj¶§­¶çr‰‘yÇ¢½ç_®‰®²É­¥×¥Š÷«Ë_5š)žq«-r‰®²É­¥×¥Š÷«Ë_5š)žq«-r‰¶×­´çn5óVòv—d¢¸\x0f¢Ë_‹\x1c"¶\x11\x1213ât\x10¶Ð\x0eõ\awè®ë\x1e®ÇivJ+€Zâð›§ÛM|׎6ߟ´ÛM\x02\x11$Ã(ƒ\x12Š	Ú¶êÞ