* [dpdk-users] pktgen-dpdk and transmitting a pcap file (using -s)
@ 2018-02-12 10:10 Andy Johnson
From: Andy Johnson @ 2018-02-12 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

My question is about transmission of packets with pktgen-dpdk and the "-s"
option.
Let's say I am invoking dpdk-pktgen with -s option, specifyng a pcap file
which
contains only a sinlge packet, for example:
./pktgen -l 0-3 -n 2  -- ... -s 0:my.pcap

What is the expected result ? transmitting a single packet or transmitting
in an endless loop this packet over and over again ?

Regards,
AJ

* Re: [dpdk-users] pktgen-dpdk and transmitting a pcap file (using -s)
@ 2018-02-12 13:41 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2018-02-12 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Johnson; +Cc: users

> On Feb 12, 2018, at 4:10 AM, Andy Johnson <andyjoohnsoon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> My question is about transmission of packets with pktgen-dpdk and the "-s"
> option.
> Let's say I am invoking dpdk-pktgen with -s option, specifyng a pcap file
> which
> contains only a sinlge packet, for example:
> ./pktgen -l 0-3 -n 2  -- ... -s 0:my.pcap
>

> What is the expected result ? transmitting a single packet or transmitting
> in an endless loop this packet over and over again ?

PCAP files for Pktgen are sent over and over again, if you want that single packet to be sent once then set the TX count to 1.

The number of packets used for PCAP packets is limited, so a large or huge number of packets in a pcap file may not be sent as only the first N number of packets from the PCAP file will be used. I do not remember the number but you can use the ‘page pcap’ command and/or look at the startup output.

> Regards,
> AJ

Regards,
Keith