* [dpdk-users] meson: is there a mechanism for controlling compilation configuration
@ 2020-07-29  7:20 Chengchang Tang
From: Chengchang Tang @ 2020-07-29  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas; +Cc: linuxarm, users

Hi,
DPDK with 'make' will be deprecated in a future release. I have some
questions about using meson to build DPDK.

When using the make, we can change the macros in config/common_base to
control the compiling macros. For example, if i want to debug the mbuf,
i can set CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_MBUF_DEBUG=y in config/common_base to change
the compiling macros.

According to my understanding. DPDK meson build dose not generate
rte_config.h based on common_base content during compilation. Is there
any convenient way to modify the compiling macro in meson build. If all
the compilation macros need to be modified using environment variable,
it is inconvenient.

Thanks,
Chengchang
.

* Re: [dpdk-users] meson: is there a mechanism for controlling compilation configuration
@ 2020-07-29  8:35 ` Chengchang Tang
From: Chengchang Tang @ 2020-07-29  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users; +Cc: linuxarm, users, bruce.richardson

cc'ed bruce

@ 2020-07-29 10:53   ` Richardson, Bruce
From: Richardson, Bruce @ 2020-07-29 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On 2020/7/29 15:20, Chengchang Tang wrote:
> > Hi,
> > DPDK with 'make' will be deprecated in a future release. I have some
> > questions about using meson to build DPDK.
> >
> > When using the make, we can change the macros in config/common_base to
> > control the compiling macros. For example, if i want to debug the
> > mbuf, i can set CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_MBUF_DEBUG=y in config/common_base
> > to change the compiling macros.
> >
> > According to my understanding. DPDK meson build dose not generate
> > rte_config.h based on common_base content during compilation. Is there
> > any convenient way to modify the compiling macro in meson build. If
> > all the compilation macros need to be modified using environment
> > variable, it is inconvenient.

The number of build options for make was too large, so the meson build options are deliberately kept small. However, for the case of the debug build options that were previously present, this is currently a gap that is under discussion on the DPDK dev mailing list. The discussion thread can be viewed in the archives, e.g. http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/20200709134823.9176-1-l.wojciechow@partner.samsung.com/ .

Regards,
/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-users] meson: is there a mechanism for controlling compilation configuration
@ 2020-07-29 11:16 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-07-29 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chengchang Tang; +Cc: linuxarm, users, Lukasz Wojciechowski

29/07/2020 09:20, Chengchang Tang:
> Hi,
> DPDK with 'make' will be deprecated in a future release. I have some
> questions about using meson to build DPDK.
>
> When using the make, we can change the macros in config/common_base to
> control the compiling macros. For example, if i want to debug the mbuf,
> i can set CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_MBUF_DEBUG=y in config/common_base to change
> the compiling macros.
>
> According to my understanding. DPDK meson build dose not generate
> rte_config.h based on common_base content during compilation. Is there
> any convenient way to modify the compiling macro in meson build. If all
> the compilation macros need to be modified using environment variable,
> it is inconvenient.

Please look at the work done in this series:
https://patches.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/list/?series=10930&state=*