* [dpdk-users] crypto device 'crypto_aesni_mb' doesn't work in secondary process
@ 2017-08-04  8:14 Dirk-Holger Lenz
From: Dirk-Holger Lenz @ 2017-08-04  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

when the crypto device of type 'crypto_aesni_mb' is

created in the primary process a secondary process

crashes when writing into the encryption queue.

The dequeue function rte_cryptodev_dequeue_burst()

crashes in flush_mb_mgr() when it tries to access the

structure of function pointers qp->op_fns.

The reason is that this structure is allocated by the

primary process in its memory which is not accessible

in the secondary process (of course also the function

pointers are pointing to code of the primary process).

* Re: [dpdk-users] crypto device 'crypto_aesni_mb' doesn't work in secondary process
@ 2017-08-04  9:37 ` De Lara Guarch, Pablo
From: De Lara Guarch, Pablo @ 2017-08-04  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk-Holger Lenz, users

Hi Dirk,

Virtual devices have to be initialized in both processes,
as they cannot be shared between them.

Thanks,
Pablo

* Re: [dpdk-users] crypto device 'crypto_aesni_mb' doesn't work in secondary process
@ 2017-08-04  9:56   ` Dirk-Holger Lenz
From: Dirk-Holger Lenz @ 2017-08-04  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: De Lara Guarch, Pablo, users

Hello Pablo,

thanks for the quick answer.

I think that in general resources like pools and devices

need to be created by the primary process. That's

the reason that we implemented a process (our dpdk

process) which creates the resources on request by

applications which start and stop dynamically and which

are working as secondary processes. These applications

even don't know which type of Ethernet device or crypto

device they get, they simply ask for one of them.

For the Ethernet devices and QAT and even for the openssl

this works fine (QAT and i40evf worked in the past, we are

investigating why they are not doing for us with 17.08rc4).

I hope that it is possible to make that working for

aesni_mb as well.

Best regards

Dirk

@ 2017-08-04 10:11     ` Dirk-Holger Lenz
From: Dirk-Holger Lenz @ 2017-08-04 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: De Lara Guarch, Pablo, users

Hello Pablo,

perhaps it was a bit misleading what I told, primary

and secondary processes start with the same arguments

to rte_eal_init() but the secondary processes additionally

have the secondary flag (and different settings for the cores).

Best regards

Dirk