From: "Morten Brørup" <mb@smartsharesystems.com>
To: "Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad" <hemasaiperugu@5g.iith.ac.in>
Cc: <users@dpdk.org>, <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Unable to receive packet size less than 60 with rte_eth_rx_burst Api - regarding
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:52:57 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Hemasai,

This is due to the Ethernet standard.

Ethernet frames cannot be smaller than 64 bytes (60 bytes + 4 bytes checksum). So when transmitting a packet with too small payload, the transmit function will pad with zeroes until the size reaches the minimum Ethernet frame size, and the frame on the wire becomes 64 bytes (incl. 4 bytes checksum), which is what the receiver will receive.

Please also refer to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_frame#Payload

Med venlig hilsen / kind regards

Morten Brørup