* [dpdk-users] Failed to remap 2 MB pages
@ 2017-08-01 14:11 Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel
From: Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel @ 2017-08-01 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, Wiles, Keith

Hi All,

I am getting the error Failed to remap 2 MB pages when I give 32GB of memory to DPDK. I have a 256GB system and it was working for 16GB and I had 8192 number of Huge pages previously. Now for 32GB I have increased it to 16384 entries and I am facing this error. I guess this is not because of the unavailability of physical memory.

Please correct me if I am wrong,

Thanking You,
Param.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Failed to remap 2 MB pages
@ 2017-08-02  6:04 ` Kyle Larose
From: Kyle Larose @ 2017-08-02  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel, users, Wiles, Keith

Could it have to do with memory fragmentation? What if you reboot? What if you configure the huge pages on the grub command line so they are allocated at boot?

@ 2017-08-02  7:01   ` Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel
From: Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel @ 2017-08-02  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Larose; +Cc: users, Wiles, Keith

Hi Kyle,

I have rebooted it couple of times. Did not have any impact, I doubt if that is the case because in the code before the mmap call there is check for the memory.

@ 2017-08-02 13:31     ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2017-08-02 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel; +Cc: Kyle Larose, users

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 2:01 AM, Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel <krath@cloudsimple.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Kyle,
>
> I have rebooted it couple of times. Did not have any impact, I doubt if that is the case because in the code before the mmap call there is check for the memory.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

Do you setup your huge pages via the sysctl.conf file or by hand after you startup the system?

One other item is I had something similar in my dual socket machine. I could only get about 12K total 2megs pages in 64G machine 32G per socket. I increase the memory per socket and that allowed me to reach 16K pages total or 8K pages per socket. I did not understand why it happened I just assumed it was how Linux used memory. Sorry this most likely does not help much.

> Thanking You,
> Param.
>> On 02-Aug-2017, at 11:34 AM, Kyle Larose <klarose@sandvine.com> wrote:
>>
>> Could it have to do with memory fragmentation? What if you reboot? What if you configure the huge pages on the grub command line so they are allocated at boot?

Regards,
Keith